4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW getting "knotchier"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default MGW getting "knotchier"?

I've been noticing lately that my MGW has been getting VERY difficult to put into 1st, or any gear for that matter, when at a dead stop, such as a light, while driving...

I'm not sure what causes this, but it's getting to the point where I have to let the tranny spin a little bit before getting into gear. I can force it in, but it sounds soooo horrible and it takes ALOT of push power to do it. When it goes in, it makes a loud "clicking" sound.

Is this normal after 5000 miles with the MGW? I can live with it, just kinda double clutching it in neutral to get the tranny to line up. Is it the dog-teeth, or syncros going bad on my tranny?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW getting "knotchier"?

Adjust the handle more around 8 or 9:00 and it will be easier to get into 1st gear.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The shifter is just a lever that manuevers the transmission's shift rail to engage/disengage the appropriate gears--barring any lubrication or binding problems in the fulcrum ball any notchiness or resistance is in the transmission itself. However the shortened throw (decreased mechanical advantage) of the shifter will amplify the required force to overcome these internal resistances.[/align][/align]How much fluid do you have in the tranny? In TSB 04-15-6 Ford recommends using 3.2 qts. (3.0 litres), rather than the original spec of 4 qts. (3.8 litres), in part to reduce hydrolocking of the shift rails to provide improved shift feeland ensure better engagement.[/align]
Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

I have no clue how much fluid is in there. I bought the car a year ago to the week, and I never checked the tranny fluid. Where is the plug to check it? Next time I have it on a lift, I'll check to see how much fluid is in there, and possible drain it and put in some Royal Purple Syncromesh. I heard great things about it.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have been running 3.2 qts. of RP Synchromax since just after I got the car last December, some 22k miles. Although when I changed it I did not yet have the MGW shifter there was a noticable improvement in shifting, particularly in the 2-3 upshift.[/align][/align]Keep in mind that any short-shifter is going to require additional effort, that's just plain ol' mechnical advantage taking over--less motion on one end of a lever = more force required to move the other end against the same resistance...[/align]
Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

I doubt adjusting the shifter would help. But since it is adjustable, trying to adjust it wouldn't hurt anything.

If that doesn't help, first thing I would do ischange the tranny fluid. This should "soften" up your shifting some, and it should take a lot less effort to get the car in and out of gear.

If that doesn't help at all, then start looking into possible tranny problems. But changing the fluid should help out a lot.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

I have been running 3.2 qts. of RP Synchromax since just after I got the car last December, some 22k miles. Although when I changed it I did not yet have the MGW shifter there was a noticable improvement in shifting, particularly in the 2-3 upshift.[/align][/align]Keep in mind that any short-shifter is going to require additional effort, that's just plain ol' mechnical advantage taking over--less motion on one end of a lever = more force required to move the other end against the same resistance...[/align]
BTW, cliffyk, I returned your PM a few weeks back but never got a response back from you. It still says the status is unread. Just reply whenever you get the chance.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

The shifter is just a lever that manuevers the transmission's shift rail to engage/disengage the appropriate gears--barring any lubrication or binding problems in the fulcrum ball any notchiness or resistance is in the transmission itself. However the shortened throw (decreased mechanical advantage) of the shifter will amplify the required force to overcome these internal resistances.[/align] [/align]How much fluid do you have in the tranny? In TSB 04-15-6 Ford recommends using 3.2 qts. (3.0 litres), rather than the original spec of 4 qts. (3.8 litres), in part to reduce hydrolocking of the shift rails to provide improved shift feel and ensure better engagement.[/align]
cliff your a straight up genius
Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

BTW, cliffyk, I returned your PM a few weeks back but never got a response back from you. It still says the status is unread. Just reply whenever you get the chance.
[/align][/align]I'm sorry we just got back Sunday from 3 weeks in a cabin on top of Sreamer Mtn in NorthEast Georgia--had phone andDirect TV but no Internet Access--at first it was tough going "cold turkey" but after a while I kinda' liked it. I'll get back to you later today.[/align]
Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

The shifter is just a lever that manuevers the transmission's shift rail to engage/disengage the appropriate gears--barring any lubrication or binding problems in the fulcrum ball any notchiness or resistance is in the transmission itself. However the shortened throw (decreased mechanical advantage) of the shifter will amplify the required force to overcome these internal resistances.[/align][/align]How much fluid do you have in the tranny? In TSB 04-15-6 Ford recommends using 3.2 qts. (3.0 litres), rather than the original spec of 4 qts. (3.8 litres), in part to reduce hydrolocking of the shift rails to provide improved shift feeland ensure better engagement.[/align]
cliff your a straight up genius
Yes, he is...Arn't you a mechanical/automotive engineer?

Thats what I want to do after college.

Quick Reply: MGW getting "knotchier"?