4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

drifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: drifting

i know i'm going to get flamed for this but here's my $.02. mustangs can drift although they're not the best car to drift with or start on. for the budget minded, it's cheaper to get an AE86 or an older model 240sx to drift with. it would be cheaper to do that than to set up your suspension.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:54 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: kwikstang

i know i'm going to get flamed for this but here's my $.02. mustangs can drift although they're not the best car to drift with or start on. for the budget minded, it's cheaper to get an AE86 or an older model 240sx to drift with. it would be cheaper to do that than to set up your suspension.
Mustangs can powerslide great but they don't drift worth a ****. I

It's too hard to keep the backend from coming around without some decent suspension upgrades.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I went with the Maximun Motorsports torque arm setup. Hooks up really nice. Front end has k-member and a-arms and coil-overs.

Big $$, but nice ride
Old 02-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

BAH, suspension upgrades are for people who cant drive! i was out drifting tonight on my stock suspension. flawless! before you all flip out i was joking about the upgrades for bad drivers. they deffinatley make a dif, but if you can handle good you dont need much to have fun, competing is a diferent story. drifting is so much fun, but i dont think people should set up their mustangs suspension purely for drifting. i agree with kwik, a 240sx or somthing would be a better bet. but whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Drifting is fun as hell. Screw the ricers we need to show them how to do it with american muscle. AS for the stock suspension I think it sucks, you can break the tires loose no problem with a stock GT. If anything I would just get beefer control arms in the rear so you dont bend any of the steel pressed peices.

If you really want a killer suspension that will give you awesome handling and traction check out griggs racing.

www.griggsracing.com

Its about $7000 for a full suspension kit. Thats what Im saving up for. It converts your 4 link into a three link.( 2 lower control arms and a tourque arm) You will be able to handle just as well as the best of them. Like the prosche's. Who are our real challenge. And we can make gobbs of more power than them. Beat there GT3 car and save 6ok in the process.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 AM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

drifting?? if you mean sliding around corners, my buddy has a GT w/ stock suspension, and he can do that all day, same w/ my cobra. am i missing something?? somebody educate me.........
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Drifting is a competition where someone goes around a track and trys to keep the car constantly sideways, the more you do the more points you get..... You score points the more ttire smoke you produce. More points the closer you can get to corners and walls. But I think the people on this forum are talking about just doing it for fun on the street. Like sliding around in parking lots and streets. Its doing tail whips, going sideways for a length of distances. Basicly drving your car when your constantly spinning your tires.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:13 AM
kwikstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

Drifting is a competition where someone goes around a track and trys to keep the car constantly sideways, the more you do the more points you get..... You score points the more ttire smoke you produce. More points the closer you can get to corners and walls. But I think the people on this forum are talking about just doing it for fun on the street. Like sliding around in parking lots and streets. Its doing tail whips, going sideways for a length of distances. Basicly drving your car when your constantly spinning your tires.
kind of like what xtreme said. drifting is about performing controlled slides. at the D1 or any drifting competitions, drivers are awarded points based on how well they can control their car in a controlled slide while countersteering to get out of it. points are awarded on angle, speed, blah, blah. there are other events such as team, tandem, etc. it's not all about spinning the tires and sliding around. most people think of it that way. if there's more questions, just google it.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

you know theres a vendor section on this forum right? is it just me or does anybody else not like reading threads and everything that has anything to do with traction this guy has posted the same thing. im not even going to bother checking it out cause he did that.