4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

High Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
02stanger

Default High Maintenance?

I got my eye on an 02 GT. Would be my first Mustang. If I don't plan on modding it (at least for now) and use it as a daily driver, is this thing going to nickel and dime me to death with mainteance costs? Its got low miles (21k) and seems to be in good shape. I know you guys can't comment on the particular car itself, but just GTs in general. Beyond normal maintenance, for just a daily driver (and the occasional burnout lol) what am I lookin at?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: High Maintenance?

you should be looking at a pretty dependable car, providing it was well taken care of previously. It's not gonna be the most comfortable/quiet ride for a DD, however.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM
02stanger

Yeah, but I can put up with the sound of a V8! And its definitely quiter than my Jeep
Old 02-04-2005, 08:06 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

I guess I can't say my car has been too dependable, but I did get it from a local car auction because my dad's a dealer. The car was in fantastic shape, no dings whatsoever, flawless interior, beautiful engine, clean front to back, and I have had to replace the intake manifold and my calipers/rotors are shot right now, so I guess just bad luck for me.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: kubball2005

I guess I can't say my car has been too dependable, but I did get it from a local car auction beuse my dad's a dealer. The car was in fantastic shape, no dings whatsoever, flawless interior, beautiful engine, clean front to back, and I have had to replace the intake manifold and my calipers/rotors are shot right now, so I guess just bad luck for me.
The GT's rotors are crap. Just upgrade to a drilled/slotted and you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I guess I can't say my car has been too dependable, but I did get it from a local car auction beuse my dad's a dealer. The car was in fantastic shape, no dings whatsoever, flawless interior, beautiful engine, clean front to back, and I have had to replace the intake manifold and my calipers/rotors are shot right now, so I guess just bad luck for me.
Indeed, they are crap, mine just cost me some cash! My car has been very dependable though, only problem I have had was losing my belt (a 30 second fix BTW) and a bad sensor, not too expensive.... I run my car hard but I keep the fluids in good conditon and change them regularly and take care of it!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:26 PM
UT04GT
3rd Gear Member

in all honesty if you want a reliable car that is low maintenance a v8 isn't the way to go. There so many more things that can go wrong with a mustang versus a 4 banger FWD. That said there's a lot more things you CAN do in a mustang that you can't dream of doing in a fwd 4 banger. So basically do yourself a favor and get a mustang or other v8 vehicle
Old 02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
story

Every car requires maintenance. With the amount of online retailers and the number of Mustangs produced by Ford parts for the car are pretty reasonable. The less than stellar gas mileage is where you are really going to notice the cost. But if you look at the costs and then the fun you will have with the car, it is a pretty cheap thrill.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:43 AM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

What I'm going to do is replace the rear rotors/calipers because that's what really needs to be fixed right now. I thought that I'd just replace those with basic parts and then upgrade the front brakes later when I have more $$$$. Does that sound alright?
Old 02-05-2005, 01:53 PM
alan_a

My girlfriend laughs at my car all the time because it has been flat-bedded home about 5 times in the last year. All minor things but her Honda Civic runs & runs & runs. A couple times not fault of car or me. I had a defective BBK clutch cable. (they would not warranty it either) Went with a steeda cable and firewall adjuster and what a difference. But.... when my Cobra is running good....(which it is now) it is a blast! I get more looks and have even gotten some tailbecause of the way it looks and sounds. The best car I have ever owned and also the fastest. I have pushed this car by myself when it quit on me but just like I tell her I will push that car any day rather than drive a jap car. I was pushing it uphill by myself once and about to give out and this old man about 70-75 yrs old driving a big rig stopped, jumped out with cigarette between lips still and helped me push it off the road. I wouldn't trade it for a two-bit Fast & Furious, Aluminum winged, recycled beer-can, 4 bangin, even brand new Import of any type. A mustang of any type commands attention when you drive by at wot. I drove my Cobra from L.A. to Boise Idaho averaging about 80-90 to Boise and 85-95 coming back. When I hit the Nevada state line it was about 5:00 am on a Sunday and it is long and straight. I had the cruise control set on 110 mph and did not slow down until I hit Las Vegas. I love this car so much that even talking about has motivated me to go for a drive right now. Do yourself a favor and forget about an import and buy a real car. You can't beat the feel of a V-8!

Quick Reply: High Maintenance?