4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SMOG QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM
BULLITT01

Default SMOG QUESTION

I Have a 01 bullitt and had the cats tottaly removed.i also have typical mods flows,diablo tuner,steeda pullies,o/r x-pipe,cai.anyway i guy i work with said he had similar mods with no cats and he passed smog no problem i diddint think the car would pass in cali without cats but he said they dont even really look under the car and i should pass but i dont want to try and pay $70 and not pass anyone heard of a car passing without cats in cali
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SMOG QUESTION

It will pass as long as there is no visual inspection, all emissions on the new edge are 0bd2 so it is just a quick plug in read and if the service light isn't on your golden...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

That sounds likebs Im in cali too and they always check my cats.Your friend either slipped the smog guys $180 (thats the price ive heard.) Or he rubbed a magic lamp and wished his car would pass.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
BULLITT01

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS IT DOES HELP TO KNOW SOME OTHER OPINIONS.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

yea, that's good to know. I'm gettin ready to pull the trigger on an o/r pipe myself in pa. I'm pretty sure they only hook it up, and don't really do a visual.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

this question comes up alot.. i swear im going to develop a "visual emissions mod" where i sell you 2 little cat shells that you weld where they would usually appear stock, and this question would go away lol.. only problem is.. states are now using sniffer tests i got sniffed last year but i was legal.. if you have LT's and Cats youll pass... but no cats and you wont. they are starting to let up here in NV on the long tubes law as long as you have catalytic converters... dunno about other places
Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

There is no way it will pass with out cats. As soon as they stick that pipe in your exhaust and it reads the CO2 and other gases it will spike higher than the allowed level and fail. Ive been there done that. The cats burn those gasses off and reduces them. My advice is just run some high flow spun cats. They dont reduce your horsepower that much.
http://vertexnow.com/Verocious-Motor...ytic-Converter
You will have to get someone to install them for you because most shops dont want to be responsible. Or do it yourself. Good luck if you try to pass without cats!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/u...al/549spun.asp Magna Flow makes some goodones too!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

just keep your stock mid pipe and change out every 2 years
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cornbread01

just keep your stock mid pipe and change out every 2 years
+1 on swapping out the mid pipe every 2 years before smog.

Like others have said, you WILLNOT pass a visual inspection here in CA if you have no cats. Heck man, you should have 4 cats on that car. The smog tech WILL check visually for your cats, all (4) O2 sensors and your CEL. The visual inspection is the first thing they do before they even bother to put the car on the road dyno. Here in CA, they DO NOT tap into your OBD IIport to check for programmers/chips.And yes, they will put a O2 sensor up both of your tail pipes. If that CAI of yours doesn't have a C.A.R.B. number, you'll fail the visual.

Quick Reply: SMOG QUESTION