4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pin out for O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default Pin out for O2 sensor

Anyone know the pin out and more specfically, the wire color for an 02 Oxygen sensor. I am trying to figure out if I have a bad O2 sensor. The manual says use a meter to monitor the Sig+ and Grd. There are four wires and the manual doesn't mention the wire colors. The wiring diagram in the manual shows the wire colors but
doesn't label the wires so I don't know which one is Sig+ and Grd. Maybe its easier to just go buy another sensor....The manual shows a picture of the plug with the following labels:

Sig+
Grd
HTD Grd
B+Volt ( I assume this is battery voltage)

The wiring diagram shows the wire colors but not the above labels.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:22 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pin out for O2 sensor

your better off to go to advance auto and use their code reader that way it will tell you which bank left or right and up or downstream plus it is free to use ......
Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

I already know its Bank 1, the downstream sensor. Just trying to troubleshoot that particular sensor using the procedure in the manual. My choices are limited so I guess I can just poke around until I figure it out, or go by a sensor from my local Ford dealer.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What is the specific code? When my light kicked on, it was due to my O2 harness not being plugged in all the way. Aside from that, they're not serviceable.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

P0420. Not trying to service it. Just trying to find out if its broke. I plan on removing it and making sure contacts are clean and its seated correctly etc... but you can troubleshoot them using a DVM to monitor voltage levels to see if its functioning ok. Its just no clear to me which pins to monitor, but there are only 4 so it will take a little experimenting I guess.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Gray/Red is the sensor ground on all sensors;[/align][/align]Bank 1, front sensor signal is Gray/Light Blue;[/align]Bank 1, rear sensor signal is Red/Light Green[/align]Bank 2, front sig is Red/Black;[/align]Bank 2, rear sig is Violet/Light Green;[/align][/align]Heater +12V is Red/Yellow on all;[/align][/align]Bank 1, front heater ground is Red/White;[/align]Bank 1, rear htr gnd isWhite/Black;[/align]Bank 2, front htr gnd is Yellow/Light Blue;[/align]Bank 2, rear htr gnd is Tan/Yellow;[/align][/align][/align]
Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

To the rescue again. Thank you cliffyk.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Cliffyk,

Reading this again, I am a little confused. Specifically bank 1. You have two wires at Red/Light Green. They are:
Rear Sensor signal and Rear htr gnd.

Could you have mixed them up?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I did this while SWMBO was telling me it was time for us to go out(after she spent over an hour getting ready)--sorry for the errors--[/align][/align]I've just edited the original posting, and double checked it, should be OK...[/align][/align]-cliff-[/align]
Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks!! I appreciate the quick response.

Quick Reply: Pin out for O2 sensor