4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!! rough idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 AM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

Default HELP!! rough idle and stalling

hey guys i just went to get food and when i started my car it stalled almost right after i started it. tried agian same thing had to give it gas and make it idle at around 1000 rmp to not die. same problem when driving and when warmed up to temp. i noticed that if im in neutral and let the clutch out the rpms drop slightly, the sound of the engine changes, and it sounds like metal rubbing when im letting it out. power steering also started to act up towards the end of my .5 mile trip. the ps fluid is at min but ill fill it up 2morrow morning. all the vaccum lines to my cai are attached (had happened to me before), no CEL, no codes stored. last time i took it out was around 4 am last night and ran fine. any ideas?? im stuck. thanks in advance guys.

p.s. sorry for the long post
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!! rough idle and stalling

Sounds like you might have a bad pulley... simaliar things hapened right before my A/C pulley froze up on me... it may or may not be the power steering pulley... a bad pulley slowing down the system would affect the PS.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

clean out your IAC then try again? The pulley thing makes sense, but your car should run better because you're reducing the load on your engine when disengaging the clutch.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 AM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

ill check the pulleys and clean out my iac in the morning, could any of these happen in a one day period though becasue like i said i drove it last night and everything was fine
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

I dont know about the IAC... but ANYTHING can happen overnight!! The pulley (if it is indeed a pulley), should have been making some sort of noise before now... but you may not have noticed it! If you take out the noises you mentioned... and the power steering being low (sometimes we notice noises more when we are having trouble... noises that may have been there, we just didnt notice them, then when something goes funky we notice the noises and think they are related to the now occuring troubles) it could be the IAC, fuel filter, air filter, etc..... I suppose your clutch could be going out... but it dosent sound likie a going bad clutch!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I dont know about the IAC... but ANYTHING can happen overnight!!
How true.
Think about when light bulbs burn out.....when you turn them on, at least most of the time.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I dont know about the IAC... but ANYTHING can happen overnight!! The pulley (if it is indeed a pulley), should have been making some sort of noise before now... but you may not have noticed it! If you take out the noises you mentioned... and the power steering being low (sometimes we notice noises more when we are having trouble... noises that may have been there, we just didnt notice them, then when something goes funky we notice the noises and think they are related to the now occuring troubles) it could be the IAC, fuel filter, air filter, etc..... I suppose your clutch could be going out... but it dosent sound likie a going bad clutch!
The thing that weirds me is that when the load on the engine is reduced it runs worse.A fuel filter would cause problems at higher RPMS, an air filter would reduce throttle response, and a bad clutch would just be slipping alot more causing high revs compared to actual speed.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

the engine does not run better with a load sry for any miscommunication, when i said let the clutch out i meant clutch pedal and in turn engaging the clutch. I just went out and drove around the block. same problems still there topped off the ps fluid, but when the engine has been running for a while it is fine, i turn it off then back on the problem comes back.does anybody have a link on how toclean the iac? thanks guys

ohh almost for got to mention this could just be my car being mad at me for buying another car and showing it attention. idk just an idea
Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 PM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

so i took the iac off cleaned it put it back on. now my ses light is on and im getting codes for system too lean bank 1 and 2. ordered a new iac from autozone yesterday so well see if it will fix the problem
Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 PM
2000 Ragstang

Have you checked the CAI? I know my daughter leaned on the connections at MAF sensor when she was "helping me" and separtated the pipe and the car idled like crap and stalled everytime I pushed in the clutch. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: HELP!! rough idle and stalling