4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAGNAFLOW DECISION

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Default MAGNAFLOW DECISION

I'm trying to decide which Magnaflow catback to buy, the #15673 the magnapack system SOUNDS AWESOME, but being a glasspack, will the tone deteriorate over time, or get raspy? I have shorty headers and an SLP hi-flow catted X pipe? If not, will the chambered cans system be the better choice, the #15671? I do not wish to provide the local very unbusy Police officers something to do. Please give me your input if you have owned/used either system.

Thanks ahead,
John
Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MAGNAFLOW DECISION

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

I'm trying to decide which Magnaflow catback to buy, the #15673 the magnapack system SOUNDS AWESOME, but being a glasspack, will the tone deteriorate over time, or get raspy? I have shorty headers and an SLP hi-flow catted X pipe? If not, will the chambered cans system be the better choice, the #15671? I do not wish to provide the local very unbusy Police officers something to do. Please give me your input if you have owned/used either system.

Thanks ahead,
John
I have the 15671 and it's about +1 over stock at idle, a little louder when cruising and very loud when you stomp on it.
The cops won;t even look at you.

It gets a little louder over time, but not by much.

Be aware the system DOES drone.
Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't because it does, just like almost every other aftermarket exhaust for the Mustang.

Of course compared to flowmasters or some of the others the drone is extremely minor.
IOW you can carry a conversation and keep the radio on real low without problems at all.
Also I have a vert which magnifies the drone.
It's much quieter in a coupe.

IMHO it's one of the best systems out there along with the Bassani catback which is louder and more expensive.
Chances are from description the Magnaflow 15671 is just the system.
The Magnapacks are REAL LOUD.
BTW the clips on Magnaflow's site might be screwed up.
The clip for the 15671 actually says 15673 at the beginning of the video so I'm not sure which one it really is.

Also both the 15671 and 15673 are straight through mufflers, no chambers.
The 15673 is *straight through* meaning the inlet and outlet are lined up and you can look right through it.
The 15671 doesn't have chambers AFAIK, but since the inlet and outlet are offset you can't really look straight through.
It IS straight through however, no chambers.

Check with Magnaflow to be sure, but I think that's the way it is.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

My magnapacks didn't drone?

Perhaps you are just confusing exhaust noise with drone...because the 'drone' you speak of from Magnapacks is very different from that of a baffled/chambered muffler...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

My magnapacks didn't drone?

Perhaps you are just confusing exhaust noise with drone...because the 'drone' you speak of from Magnapacks is very different from that of a baffled/chambered muffler...
Possibly.
What I am talking about is a peak in sound, a rather large one, between say 1900RPM and 2100rpm, under load like going up a hill.
It's like a hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and goes away if you go past say 2100 rpm or let up on the gas.

I actually recorded it on my iPod and imported it into Sony SoundForge to take a look.
The frequency peak is 137hz (I think?) and it's due to the tailpipe length, temperature of the exhaust gas and the firing order of the motor.

It doesn't sound ANYTHING like the ear splitting low pressure annoyance that say Flows produce where your ears feel like they are popping or somthing, but it is a drone.

It's really hard to describe things like this because one persons drone is another persons heaven!

I'm going to dump the soundfile from my iPod and see if I can post it up on YouTube or something.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
aCiD
2nd Gear Member

My magnapacks have been on for about 9 months now, and people still pull up beside me just to say "holy ****, that sounds amazing"

Now, I'm about to drive 3 hours to go home (from school), by the time I get there I will have a mild headache from the drone cruising around 2500RPM.

Any drive under 1 hour, or around town is just fine. They're very silent at idle, and truly stunning under any generous acceleration. I have no regrets, so much fun!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I have super flowmaster super'40s on my car now, and they don't drone (at least for me) but recently I wacked one on my gravel road and it's baffle rattles when outside temps are hot outside, the wife says it's annoying so off it goes. I just installed the Magnaflow system and X pipe on my Corvette, and it sounds sweet.

So Dan, you like the magna packs? From what I see, if I had a problem with noise from the glass packs I could always change back to magnaflow's regular canned muffler. And the magnapack design gives me more road clearance too. Dan, does the sound on the Magnapacks stay consistent over time? I've noticed the Jardine glass pack on my Honda CBR has gotten raspier over time.

John
Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I don't know if you saw my posts from before but I fond a deal on magnaflow or magnapack catbacks for $319 + free shipping. PM me if you want the details.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

magnapacks FTW and there is no drone...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The magnapack on my GT never changed in sound. Initially they were a bit quiet & tame, but after about a week of driving they broke in and never changed in tone.

I loved the sound. You won't be able to directly swap regular magnaflows in, the regular magnaflows have a O/C offset I believe. However, any exhaust shop will be able to bend you a short pipe without hurting your wallet.

I have had the following exhausts - Magnapacks, Magnaflows, Flowmaster Original 40's & Flowmaster Super40's.

By FAR the best sounding exhaust was the Magnapacks.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

The magnapack on my GT never changed in sound. Initially they were a bit quiet & tame, but after about a week of driving they broke in and never changed in tone.

I loved the sound. You won't be able to directly swap regular magnaflows in, the regular magnaflows have a O/C offset I believe. However, any exhaust shop will be able to bend you a short pipe without hurting your wallet.

I have had the following exhausts - Magnapacks, Magnaflows, Flowmaster Original 40's & Flowmaster Super40's.

By FAR the best sounding exhaust was the Magnapacks.
Yes the regular Magnaflows are offset.
My Magnaflows got louder and deeper (better sounding IMHO) after about a month of driving.
Very subtle, but nice IMHO.

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLOW DECISION