4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.4 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 AM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

Default 5.4 question

Are there any stroker kits available? I'm entertaining doing a 5.4 swap and want to know wht the mots I can get out of it is. I'm not going turbo or nitrous. I'm going with the sleeper approach and since most of the people around here don't know what they're looking at under the hood of a mustang, I figured a 5.4 swap would be a good idea. Also, are certain 5.4 truck motors better than others? will I need a different PCM or can I use my stock one?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4 question

the best all motor 5.4 aproach is the navigator motor. the navigator has the highest cfm flowing modular heads. throw a set of stage 3 cams on top. the crank is already forged so all you have to do is swap out the rods and pistons. there are many options for an intake. for all motor i believe they say the best is the reicherd racing adaptars and the intake from the 99 to 01 cobras. im pretty sure that with full bolt ons and possibly ported heads you could be well in the 450 horses range.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Yea get ready to dig deep on this one! I'm not going to support or not support any particular aspect of this such as go with terminator motor 4.6 or point into any other direction. But... I'd be kind of concerned with space issue with a 5.4 which is an inch taller in deck height, adapter plates from reichard racing, another inch, this right here is equalling hood clearance problems, then combine with the engine deck being higher, considering how much wider a 4 valve head is... talk about issues adding up. And if you plan to use any of your old mods, you can kiss your midpipe good bye, and if you don't stay with a 2 vavle kiss your headers good bye too. If you plan to do cams and springs consider doing that before you put the motor in, there will be no room to take a 3 or 4 valve head off once installed in the car. And if someone has already done a head removal with 3 and 4 vavle heads in these cars, props to you, I'd just as soon pull the motor first.

There's a lot more to this project than the few points I mentioned here, but this is as far as I've gotten on this. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
mustang02racing
2nd Gear Member

good point i took off my 2 valve heads and it was a real pain in the ***, the clearance was so limited i could imagin a 3-4 valve head coming out without taking the motor out. good luck to you man
Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

I'm not really concerned with hood clearance. I'm running a FRPP 2000 Cobra R hood. And I want to keep the 2V apperance. I know a 4V head would be 10x better, but then you could tell that it's not a GT engine. I'm gonna keep the plastic stock valve covers and such so it still appears like a 4.6 to the un-trained eye.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

Yea get ready to dig deep on this one! I'm not going to support or not support any particular aspect of this such as go with terminator motor 4.6 or point into any other direction. But... I'd be kind of concerned with space issue with a 5.4 which is an inch taller in deck height, adapter plates from reichard racing, another inch, this right here is equalling hood clearance problems, then combine with the engine deck being higher, considering how much wider a 4 valve head is... talk about issues adding up. And if you plan to use any of your old mods, you can kiss your midpipe good bye, and if you don't stay with a 2 vavle kiss your headers good bye too. If you plan to do cams and springs consider doing that before you put the motor in, there will be no room to take a 3 or 4 valve head off once installed in the car. And if someone has already done a head removal with 3 and 4 vavle heads in these cars, props to you, I'd just as soon pull the motor first.

There's a lot more to this project than the few points I mentioned here, but this is as far as I've gotten on this. Good luck!
It doesn't matter which heads you go with, your headers won't fit. Trust me I've tried. I had Mac l/t that I had to cut up and complete make my own set of heads. From what I hear shorties will fit but you'll have to modify the midpipe. The early 5.4 97-98 are suppose to have a forged crank. The lightnings have forged pistons. Other then that a 5.4 is just a 5.4.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

all 4v navigators have forged cranks. you will not be able to remove the valve covers with the motor in. but you have to make sacrifices if you want horsepower. good luck makin 450 horses all motor with a 2v 5.4, guess what its not happenin. bye the way if your going 2v 5.4 your harness and ecu will work you will just have to get it tuned or reflashed. if you go 4v 5.4 you can still use the stock harness and ecu as long as you eliminate the secondary butterflys in the intake (depending on the intake you choose).
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

not all 5.4 are the same. the 2004 (heritage) and earlier are 2v. the 2004 and newer are 3v. there is also a 4v 5.4 out there.

i think with a 5.4 and no F/I, the best you can hope for is about 350 rwhp. Granted, that's pretty good compared to a 4.6, but it would probably be best, and easier to slap a S/C or Turbo on a 4.6 2v and not have the hassle of motor fitment. Cost less money, easier to install and easier to make more power
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

not all 5.4 are the same. the 2004 (heritage) and earlier are 2v. the 2004 and newer are 3v. there is also a 4v 5.4 out there.

i think with a 5.4 and no F/I, the best you can hope for is about 350 rwhp. Granted, that's pretty good compared to a 4.6, but it would probably be best, and easier to slap a S/C or Turbo on a 4.6 2v and not have the hassle of motor fitment. Cost less money, easier to install and easier to make more power
I'm aware of the head differences. He is leaning towards doing a 2v so I was telling him the differences between the 2v 5.4. Back to the OP, there are stroker kits but I'm not a big fan of them. The stroke on the 5.4 is already huge and adding more stroke with out upping the bore size isn't the best idea. With taht much stroke your power band is going to be very low and your just going to be a torque monster that is all done at like 4k rpms. You can't really up the bore size much on these iron blocks so I would just stick with the stock stroke.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank
I'm aware of the head differences. He is leaning towards doing a 2v so I was telling him the differences between the 2v 5.4. Back to the OP, there are stroker kits but I'm not a big fan of them. The stroke on the 5.4 is already huge and adding more stroke with out upping the bore size isn't the best idea. With taht much stroke your power band is going to be very low and your just going to be a torque monster that is all done at like 4k rpms. You can't really up the bore size much on these iron blocks so I would just stick with the stock stroke.
I was talking to the OP. I agree about not stroking a 5.4. My 5.4 (white truck in the signature)has ungodly amounts of torque. I can't imagine it in a Mustang. Having looked at the Cobra engine bay, I've got to ask, Will a 5.4 even fit in there? The 4.6 4v leaves almost no room at all.

Have you given any thought to a 302? The 94/95's had them, and considering what it sounds like you're trying to do, the 302 has ALOT of build-up potential. Plus, you can get the parts for a swap out of a donor car and still be able to fool people

Quick Reply: 5.4 question