4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

built 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

Default built 4.6

hey guys ive been wondering i want to make my 4.6 more reliable and i wanted to go the cobra route and not worry about forging my internals but i cant waste that kind of money right now. i wanted to kno about how much does it cost to build a 4.6 and make it realiable to hold some hp. i mean lets get realistic i might go with the supercharger route later on but i want to have a reliable engine and not worry about blowing it to pieces. so if you could give me some insight on what parts are needed and around how muhc it would cost i would apreciate it alot..thanks..by the way i have a gt.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: built 4.6

vtengines.com, MMR, THR and fordracing.com are great starts.
prices start around 3k for crates up to 30k with a ford gt engine.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

check out MMR, you can pick up a very nice forged all through (900 series). No problems with it here
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Your motor right now is reliable enough. If you don't have the blower on it, it should be fine. Even if you add a blower with 8 lbs of boost or so, you won't have any problems so long as you don't beat on it all the time.

That said, if you want to build your block, it might be cheaper to do it yourself. I know you can get the forged crank, pistons and rods for around 2k. I don't know where, but that's what I priced when I was looking. If you know someone that can help you put them in, or you can do it yourself, you can get out the door without spending all that much money.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Fobra
Banned

buying a built short block is cheaper - 2200-2500 everywhere for about 900rwhp worth of internals
Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Replacing the motor isn't going to be the end all solution for reliability. Even if the best people in the business do the work, there is always a risk for faulty parts or troubleshooting.

Sounds like you bought yourself into a troublesome car and you are in a pinch financially to do anything with it. Perhaps you should consider selling it and buying a more affordable and reliable car?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
White02GT
2nd Gear Member

whats the most hp the stock heads and cams can hold if you were to get a short block?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: White02GT

whats the most hp the stock heads and cams can hold if you were to get a short block?
Heads and cams don't really "hold" hp, they limit how much you can produce though. It's the lower end which is sensitive to high hp. I have a 2V making 492hp (blower, 62lb injectors, etc., etc.). It is strong enough on the lower end with all forged parts which can stand 900-1000hp. But my limitation is that I have stock (albeit, ported/polished) PI heads and cams. They are my next project. The problem now for me is that the valve springs could give up and push a valve through a piston. I just ran a 12.09 / 115 this weekend though. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

its not that i bought a faulty car im just used to my car already and ive always wanted a fast car and after a year of having it it doesnt feel so fast anymore.thats why i wantedto know around how much it would cost so maybe i can bee fmy car up and not be worried that it will blow at any moment. my dream is to have a cobra atleast i wont have to worry about anything and ill have exactly what i want a fast supercharged mustang with a forged engine.but being only ninteen with a part time job and going to school it will be a while before i make any money to even buy something liek that.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fausty

its not that i bought a faulty car im just used to my car already and ive always wanted a fast car and after a year of having it it doesnt feel so fast anymore.thats why i wantedto know around how much it would cost so maybe i can bee fmy car up and not be worried that it will blow at any moment. my dream is to have a cobra atleast i wont have to worry about anything and ill have exactly what i want a fast supercharged mustang with a forged engine.but being only ninteen with a part time job and going to school it will be a while before i make any money to even buy something liek that.
I keep telling everyone this, go to the "Pipes, Boost and Juice" section and read on how to supercharge your car for $1500. Yes, you'll have to buy a used head unit, but if you get it from someone that drives their car reliably AND have your shop check it, there shouldn't be any problems. I am going to finish off my setup at around $1600 when I'm done. That has 30# injectors, Lightening 80mm MAF, 255 lph fuel pump and all accessories associated with the Vortech. It can be done, you just need to shop around.

So instead of forging your motor, spend the money on that and you'll get plenty more hp to meet your needs.

Quick Reply: built 4.6