MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   I Have the T-45 Blues! Help Me! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/366415-i-have-the-t-45-blues-help-me.html)

2000GT4.6 11-07-2007 12:18 AM

RE: I Have the T-45 Blues! Help Me!

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

I got my 2000 GT 2v rebuilt and back on the strip last weekend. I got a good dynotune and the engine is great. It's s/c'd, forged, big fuel, big spark, etc., etc. Produced 492 rwhp (on Mustang Chassis dyno....not a DynoJet!). I ran a 12.09 at 115. Problem: I think my T-45 gave up on the last run. It drives OK, but sings really loud in 1st and 2nd. It also makes a "zipping" sound in between gears when shifting slowly. Seems to drive fine though.
QUESTION: I've read that T-45s are not strong enough for built engines. Is that right? What next?? I want something that I don't have to change clutches, shorten driveshaft, change mount position, etc. for. TKO500/600? T3650? Or I can rebuild it for a $267 kit. What? Thanks.
Da da na na na... another one bites the dust :)

T45 FTL! Also, your trap SUCKS for 492 WHP on a mustang dyno... I trapped 114.50 with 387 to the tire on a mustang dyno.. something was wrong.

4.6LPoppy 11-09-2007 07:20 PM

OK, an update. I stressed out the rear bearing and synchronizers. I can get it repaired for $100-200. The T-45 is a good tranny, but just not for 400+ hp and 420lbs torque. I am going to have it rebuilt and sell it. It has less than 19,000 miles on it so it should go pretty well.
QUESTION: Will I need to get a different shifter for the TKO-500? If so, I'll just sell my B&M short throw with the T-45. Anyone know??

4.6LPoppy 11-09-2007 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I got my 2000 GT 2v rebuilt and back on the strip last weekend. I got a good dynotune and the engine is great. It's s/c'd, forged, big fuel, big spark, etc., etc. Produced 492 rwhp (on Mustang Chassis dyno....not a DynoJet!). I ran a 12.09 at 115. Problem: I think my T-45 gave up on the last run. It drives OK, but sings really loud in 1st and 2nd. It also makes a "zipping" sound in between gears when shifting slowly. Seems to drive fine though.
QUESTION: I've read that T-45s are not strong enough for built engines. Is that right? What next?? I want something that I don't have to change clutches, shorten driveshaft, change mount position, etc. for. TKO500/600? T3650? Or I can rebuild it for a $267 kit. What? Thanks.

T45 FTL! Also, your trap SUCKS for 492 WHP on a mustang dyno... I trapped 114.50 with 387 to the tire on a mustang dyno.. something was wrong.
You're right. Typo. It made 392 rwhp, not 492. Also, I can't hook up with my MT ET Streets. I've got to get this back to the technical side so it doesn't get deleted by the monitor of this section.

The TECHNICAL question: do TKO-500s come with a short throw shifter, or will a T-45 shifter fit a TKO-500? Sorry, I don't know.

Fobra 11-09-2007 08:22 PM

go with a tko series or a c-4

2000GT4.6 11-09-2007 08:41 PM

You're right. Typo. It made 392 rwhp, not 492. Also, I can't hook up with my MT ET Streets. I've got to get this back to the technical side so it doesn't get deleted by the monitor of this section.

The TECHNICAL question: do TKO-500s come with a short throw shifter, or will a T-45 shifter fit a TKO-500? Sorry, I don't know.

The TKO comes with ahurst short throw shifter. I like it, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Basicaly you want to grip it very lightly and let it shift itself mostly.

The MTs should hook up pretty well at your powerlevel, what suspension mods do you have? I have just basic stuff, aka adjustable shocks/struts, control arms, springs and it hooks fairly well with the MTs, even with just a 275/50/R15

4.6LPoppy 11-09-2007 09:04 PM

The TKO comes with ahurst short throw shifter. I like it, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Basicaly you want to grip it very lightly and let it shift itself mostly.

The MTs should hook up pretty well at your powerlevel, what suspension mods do you have? I have just basic stuff, aka adjustable shocks/struts, control arms, springs and it hooks fairly well with the MTs, even with just a 275/50/R15
UPR adjustable upper and lower control arms in the rear, welded subframe connectors, stock front end. Checked my dyno sheets again; I had one better run with 409 rwhp (after we adjusted A/F in upper range) with421.6 lb/ft torque. The rearend is 3.73, but with the pretty good torque, it still spins them through 1st.

2000GT4.6 11-10-2007 12:16 AM

UPR adjustable upper and lower control arms in the rear, welded subframe connectors, stock front end. Checked my dyno sheets again; I had one better run with 409 rwhp (after we adjusted A/F in upper range) with421.6 lb/ft torque. The rearend is 3.73, but with the pretty good torque, it still spins them through 1st.
Get ahold of some adjustable strange or another brand of shocks/struts, it will help tremendously.

The front stuff alone, just 4cyl fox springs and the adjustables, helped a crapload on launch. Went from almost no weight transfer to tons of it, and with the adjustables you can go from real soft fronts to transfer to stiffer all around for driving to real stiff for a little corner carving.

With the mentioned 387 I still don't spin even the nittos in 1st if they are mildly heated up (driving around for 1/2 an hour say) and its not below about 45 outside (cold pavement makes em loose tractionin other words). Hell, I spin more in 2nd with the nittos than I do in 1st, simply because the weight transfer isn't there in 2nd like it is in first.