4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

side exhaust for a cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
svt88

Default side exhaust for a cobra

Hey guys, i will be getting a 98 svt cobra bone stock here soon and one of the first mods i was wanting was exhaust. I was leaning toward the side exhaust because it would add more looks and better sound direction....i found a kit on seffects.com from FRPP for a little over 700 dollars... it comes with the cat bat back system to the tip and the two side exhaust molding that need painting....is that a good price and also....what kind of power gain should i expect from this? Is side exhaust compairable to regular exhaust?
all advice would be appreciated...thanks guys
Old 03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: side exhaust for a cobra

You may lose a couple hp due to the fact that it has to make a U turn to come back up and out the side of the car, but the looks and the sound will make up for that. When its done right, it looks and sounds awsome. Are you getting the side skirts for it also?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:36 PM
svt88

GO here:http://www.seffects.com/parts/FORM52............thats the kit i found and yes i want the side skirt moldings .... this kit comes with everything necessary(it looks like it anyhow) it would just need to be painted....what do you think of the price...i have no idea of what somthing like this would cost?
thanx
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: svt88

GO here: http://www.seffects.com/parts/FORM5200MJ.htm ...........thats the kit i found and yes i want the side skirt moldings .... this kit comes with everything necessary(it looks like it anyhow) it would just need to be painted....what do you think of the price...i have no idea of what somthing like this would cost?
thanx
There, fixed the link. Im not sure of the pricing. Ive never priced them before. Shop around though and make sure what ever you buy, it's stainless steel.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:08 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

I would check out STEEDA web site http://www.steeda.com/ they have a side exhaust that they say...

Steeda Side Exhaust
$749.95

Finally a bolt-on, side exhaust kit that doesn't cost you horsepower! Steeda's new all stainless steel side-exit exhaust kit makes power and looks great! We did a back-to-back dyno test with our side-exit kit and it made 2 RWHP more than a Flowmaster cat-back kit. This is a major achievement because up until now side-exit exhaust was dyno-proven to COST you horsepower. Now with Steeda's new kit you can MAKE real power. The Steeda Side-Exit exhaust kit features 100% stainless steel construction for ultimate durability and all neccessary hardware for installation. This kit is a perfect compliment to our ultimate 5-Link rear suspension system. part#555-2501 Fits 99-04 GT.

Note: Does not fit with subframe connectors.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
svt88

does that kit from steeda come with the side skirt moldings?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
rjjtnc

SVT88,

That's the car I own! It's a great car to modify. I bought mine new and just started making changes about 18 months ago. Man, it's unbelievable what a supercharger, 42# injectors, upgraded suspension and a new small block can do for the Cobra!

I had a 4.10 rear end put in because I'm all about 0-90. I get significant rubber...out of third gear!! Next year I'm putting the biggest rims on the back that I can to try to keep the spin to a minimum. It's the car I could never afford when I was a kid. If I could, I'd be buried in my mustang!

Good luck on yours..your gonna love it!

RJ
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Man, it's unbelievable what a supercharger, 42# injectors, upgraded suspension and a new small block can do for the Cobra!
Umm...yeah, it's amazing what that would do to ANY car...hahaha.

I think you want the widest rims, not necessarily the biggest. Get some 15x11 wheels out back w/ MT e/t streets = broken axles
Old 03-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

You may lose a couple hp due to the fact that it has to make a U turn to come back up and out the side of the car, but the looks and the sound will make up for that. When its done right, it looks and sounds awsome. Are you getting the side skirts for it also?
Well it has to go over the rear axel if it doesnt make the U to go out the side. So it makes a U either way.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:07 AM
svt88

you may laugh but im 17 years old....i just save i guess....and plus i can pick me a 98 cobra up for a lil over ten pretty easily now days...might have been a little harder when you was younger....

Quick Reply: side exhaust for a cobra