4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mac Prochamber install...help me out

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:07 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Default Mac Prochamber install...help me out

Ok I have a Mac catback which I think sounds great, thinking about going with the prochamber. I know one drawback is you have to deal with the CEL's either with the MILs or a tuner. Does anyone just not do anything? I mean does it cause any harm to leave the CEL on or is it just a nuisance to people? Any other major cons to an O/R pipe like the prochamber? one other ?..there are 2 O2 sensors after the cats, but where are the 2 O2 sensors before the cats? will these actually plug into theprochamber somewhere or what? thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mac Prochamber install...help me out

your CEL from the 02 sensors isnt good to leave on. i think it makes your car run lean or retards timing or something. just spend 50 bucks and get the elims

theres 4 holes for 4 sensors, its strait forward and plugs in just like the stock pipe.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 PM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

for the time being i have mine shining at me all the time. i did hear its not good though, maybe that explains why i run rich now....
Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The 2nd set of O2's does not control engine functions. There function is to read the exhaust coming out of the Cat's. If the exhaust does meet a certain criteria it throws a CEL nothing else. Yes you can drive with the code for this but you will never know when you have a real problem if your CEL is always on.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

+1 the second o2 sensors only compare their reading to the first set of 02s. If the readings are the same then the light gets triggered to tell you the cats are no longer working. If the reading has alot less o2 then the first o2s then then that means the cats are doing their job. They have no control over engine function and you can drive with the light on for the rest of the time you own the car and it will never cause a problem.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys. help me out with one more detail. I'll go with the MIL's and hope those work. I haven't looked at any of this from underneath so I'm just trying to get a visual of it. I take out the O2 sensors from the stock H-pipe...they then hook up to the MIL's and the MIL's go into the prochamber? what kind of connection is at the pipe and does the prochamber already come with these connections lined up with wher ethe stock O2 sensors are?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MJH78

thanks guys. help me out with one more detail. I'll go with the MIL's and hope those work. I haven't looked at any of this from underneath so I'm just trying to get a visual of it. I take out the O2 sensors from the stock H-pipe...they then hook up to the MIL's and the MIL's go into the prochamber? what kind of connection is at the pipe and does the prochamber already come with these connections lined up with wher ethe stock O2 sensors are?
youll figure it out once you get under the car and look at it its not difficult. theres 4 02 sensors, you just unplug them and plug them in to thecorresponding spots on the new pipe. then you plug 1 mil onto each of the rear 02 sensors, then plug each mil into 1 of the harnesses where the 02 sensors unplugged from (they just plug inbetween the harness and the 02 sensor, make sure you zip tie them up or the ywill fall down and break)
Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I have the Steeda MILs ad they work as they are supposed to... But I think they may cost a little more than others. I just needed then asap and they were right down the street.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

yeh dude its easy once you get under the car execpt the front two o2 sensors are a bit cause its up over the tranny basically i had to get a girl to put mine in cause my arm was to big and i couldnt reach it but the girl did a kick *** job 2 years later and still no problems.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Industrial Duane

i went to pepboys or auto zone and got anti foulers , you buy four of them and double stack them, drill out the top peace so the 02 sensor fits, trust me you will see what you have to do when you double stack them.

I have had no lights come on, and its about 4 bucks to do this mod, it will look like your 02 sensors are going to hang low but mind have not touched anything, i wll be getting the mil's later but for now this is a quick fix to make sure your check light does not come on.

p.s you have to disco the bat

Quick Reply: Mac Prochamber install...help me out