4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
stanginlikeamug
2nd Gear Member

Default how hard?

not real sure where to post this but i found this 2004 GT with 33,000for sale for $6,300 because its been wrecked but the damage doesnt seem that bad but the air bags deployed. how hard would that be to fix? and how hard would the body work be to fix? and how much would it all cost?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how hard?

$6K seems like too much for that damage w/ air bags deployed. how many airbags deployed, side bags, wheel & dash bag? They are gona be @ least $500 each bag.
Hard to tell what exactly need to be replaced from those pics. Far as I can tell you would need a new door & rear 1/4 panel. Cant tell how deep the damage is or if there is any damage to drive-train in the rear.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
stanginlikeamug
2nd Gear Member

how much would you say its worth? i could probably talk them down a little bit.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

If you take it in to a shop, it would probably be around $5-7K. This from a quote that I got on a car I had with similar damage. Mine was just a winter beater so I said the hell with it and took a hammer and puller to it, put in a new quarter window and ran it till I had something better. If you get similar quotes, you might as well get an undamaged GT.

If you can get this one for less, say 3.5-4K, I'd go to a yard for a door, hammer out the panel, bondo it up alot, paint to match, and then just put in what you saved into performance. She will never be a jewel, but with the right stuff, some N2O, good tires, gears, other bolt ons and you got a hell of a sleeping warrior.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM
stanginlikeamug
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

$6K seems like too much for that damage w/ air bags deployed. how many airbags deployed, side bags, wheel & dash bag? They are gona be @ least $500 each bag.
Hard to tell what exactly need to be replaced from those pics. Far as I can tell you would need a new door & rear 1/4 panel. Cant tell how deep the damage is or if there is any damage to drive-train in the rear.
just wheel and dash. could you just not put airbags in it? just get a new stering wheel and dash panel? it doesnt look like its that deep or there is damage to the drive train.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

its hit pretty hard butit couldstill besalvaged. 3-4,500 is more the right price but theres alot of damage and the time is what will cost you the most not the parts there cheap. youd be looking at 3-4000 just in labor.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i got 2 words for that car.

parts car. i wouldnt try to rebuild that unless you have connections in body work

my first stang was t-boned and hte bags popped. insurance company quoted 5 (maybe 6 dont remember exactly) grand just to replace the airbags (obviously not doing maintenance yourself). airbags arent cheap. then u still gotta change the sensors that went off and all that other crap. then take care of the body (which is going to be several grand in itself as well). i would offer them like 3 grand then either part the car or use it as a donor car for a v6-GT swap as it looks like most of the parts that are used for that would be intact (rear end looks good, tranny and everything in the engine bay should be fine, etc).

a GT with that mileage and condition can be bought new for like 12 g's (maybe more maybe less depending on your area). so why spend 6 grand on a pretty badly wrecked car just to spend atleast several grand to get it drivable again to have a salvage titled car (when its all said and done if you pay 6 for that car youll probably end up spending 12g's to get it back on the road). and cars never drive the same once they have been hit like that. the frame could be twisted also if he was hit hard enuff you never know.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

i got 2 words for that car.

parts car. i wouldnt try to rebuild that unless you have connections in body work

my first stang was t-boned and hte bags popped. insurance company quoted 5 (maybe 6 dont remember exactly) grand just to replace the airbags (obviously not doing maintenance yourself). airbags arent cheap. then u still gotta change the sensors that went off and all that other crap. then take care of the body (which is going to be several grand in itself as well). i would offer them like 3 grand then either part the car or use it as a donor car for a v6-GT swap as it looks like most of the parts that are used for that would be intact (rear end looks good, tranny and everything in the engine bay should be fine, etc).

a GT with that mileage and condition can be bought new for like 12 g's (maybe more maybe less depending on your area). so why spend 6 grand on a pretty badly wrecked car just to spend atleast several grand to get it drivable again to have a salvage titled car (when its all said and done if you pay 6 for that car youll probably end up spending 12g's to get it back on the road). and cars never drive the same once they have been hit like that. the frame could be twisted also if he was hit hard enuff you never know.
What?? You can buy used airbags from ebay for $5-600. Ford dealership gets $2300 for the pair. I dunno where you got $5k from? Anyways, the frame is most likely bent which will require a frame straightener so you can't do that yourself. Just by looking at the car I would guess $4k for frame and damage repair. Then another $3k for body fill and paint and airbags. That's $7k, just not worth it to have a salvaged titled car which I can guarantee you it has unless the person didn't have insurance. Looks like it's at a junk yard which tells me it has been salvaged. You can buy a 2004 GT for about $11k with 50kmi. Same year, same salvaged title GT goes for $8500-9500. Salvaged cars at that price range lose $2500-3k
Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanginlikeamug

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

just wheel and dash. could you just not put airbags in it? just get a new stering wheel and dash panel? it doesnt look like its that deep or there is damage to the drive train.
your gonna need a new wheel and dash..my buddy wrecked his and they had to put a new dash and steering wheel in it..not to mention the airbags werent included..That car is maybe worth 4K..
Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

kinda looks totalled. the cost of repair will match or be more of the cost of the car. so you will be spending $12,000 or more to have a wrecked car, think about it.

Quick Reply: how hard?