4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trouble code

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 PM
smokey2valve

Default Trouble code

My mustang was running good then I turned into a drive-thru and it stalled. I two footed it a few times, as it won't run under 1000 rpm. I checked it for codes and got P1132 lack of H02S11 switches-sensor indicates rich. Inital cold start up runs good, up to ECT (F) 102 degrees, then its like someone throws a switch and it won't run with out me throttling it. Theres no other trouble codes except the OBDII not ready for test. (Just cleared the code.) I took off the MAF and found no debree or dirt. It seems to me it happens when it swiches from close loop to open loop. Before that point it runs normal (idles fine, no smoke, runs good). Anyone have any ideas? I was told it might be an 02 sensor.. If thats the case, wich one?

Sincerely,
-Stupid with F.I.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
pony_grrl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Trouble code

H02S11 = driver side front sensor.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

P1132 has the same diagnostic tips as P1130, click here to see. As you can see, it could be that there is nothing wrong with the O2 sensor, and that it may just be reporting the bad news...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

iac?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
smokey2valve

What bad news Cliffy? The car has actually ran fine all day today. NOW YOU GOT ME ALL WORKED UP. But yeah, after I cleared the code, it hasnt done anything since. I even ran the diagnostic and got no codes a few minutes ago. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: smokey2valve

What bad news Cliffy? The car has actually ran fine all day today. NOW YOU GOT ME ALL WORKED UP. But yeah, after I cleared the code, it hasnt done anything since. I even ran the diagnostic and got no codes a few minutes ago. Any ideas?
[/align][/align]What I meant is that P1132 (P1130)is not necessarily a bad O2 sensor, it may be that a perfectly fine O2 sensor is reporting that the PCM cannot control the mix because of one of the other possible causes listed in the link I provided. [/align][/align]The fact that it's happening sporadically also points to something other then the O2 sensor, because the sensors don't normally get flakey. They either work well, gettired andswitch slowly, or fail--but they do it consistently and don't "get better" for a while...[/align]
Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 AM
smokey2valve

Oh.. Alright. yeah, It started to act funny again tonight. It wasnt quite as bad, and when i shut off the car and turned it back on it was fine. I was doing the live data logging and it read
"HO2S11 @ 1.66V
HO2S21 @ 0.4V"
And when i turned the car off HO2S21 started to slowly drop to zero. The fuel pressure checks okay, as do all the fittings, intake and otherwise. Havent checked the exhaust side of the equation or done a compression test yet. Just crossin my fingers hoping its nothing serious.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How old is the O2 sensor? [/align][/align]Has there been any recent intake or exhaust work done?[/align][/align]Are you sure the O2 sensor wiring is good? The sensor itself is incapable of producing a signal of more than 1.2V even in the richest of mixtures (A/F ratios at which the car would not run)--so that voltage is coming from somewhere. [/align][/align]It could be shorted wiring; a physically damaged, or badly corroded,sensor (causing the heater voltage to short to the sensor circuit); or even a bad PCM.[/align]
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
smokey2valve

The O2 sensor is original (Roughly 57,000m) I put deltas on the car about 20,000m ago. As far as the wiring, yeah, Im kinda starting to wonder. My friend extended them a while back (We were gonna throw on an h-pipe. That was probably about 40,000m on the odometer) but the pipe didnt fit (Still have the thing, anyone want it? 96-98gt.) So the wiring is home made. And Im starting to wonder about the PCM, as it was flash tuned. (Predator tuner) Is this one of those things where I should return the tune to stock and bring it to the dealership? Or do you think those O2 extensions are at fault? Im wondering how much damage Im doing driving the thing like this.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would suspect that wiring right off the bat and check it out first thing. If it wasn't done with top grade, properly crimped, butt-connectors (packed with dielectric grease) then redo it in that manner.[/align][/align]Also, plugging in the stock tune would not be a bad idea asthat would eliminate one possible source of trouble.[/align]

Quick Reply: Trouble code