4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Some questions after a tragic story....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Some questions after a tragic story....

Well on 9/11/07, I was the victim of a hit and run accident. Left me with a strained lower lumbar back and a partially herniated disk. Well I am all better now (thank god for chriopractors, physical therapy and the healing powers of the human body). BUT my baby... she's done for. I was (essentially) PIT'd into a guardrail at 43 mph (so the accident ppl said), and the impact was on the left front of the fascia. the car then proceded to slide down the guardrail and rip the fascia off, was well as doing all this, the impact and uni-body construction twisted the frame. The crash impact bar however, did it's job, and even the radiator was still in one piece. The hood was ripped off from the fender lock(ruined the hood) and the mounting bracket for the radiator was bent pretty bad. All this aside, the car was considered a total loss by $100. (no kidding, it was $100 over the total loss limit). So I got the car back a few days ago (salvage title for the win!) and I've decided since mechanically, everything is fine except the frame - I'm going to purchase a old worn out v6 that was NOT wrecked and change EVERYTHING (motor, trans, axles, suspension parts, interior, rear end, exhaust, dash, wiring, you name it.)

So, the main points of this post:

What am I going to encounter, other than some obvious needs for welded brackets (i.e. exhaust runners) and some new sub-frames, and possible a new K-Member (if its bent). What ELSE am I looking at.

I am going to change out my wiring harness, and the entire engine bay and driveline. All the suspension componants (shocks struts, axles, A-arms, and the entire steering rack assy), internal dash will swap (I will need a tech to exchange the airbags however), seats, carpeting, and all that.

I know I will not be able to put my mach 1 shaker back on, due to the hood NOT having a hole in it, but thats ok for now - makes it more like a sleeper

Another question is intake to hood clearance, will I run into issues?

Lastly - Badging - would it be bad to rebadge this car?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
99mustang38or46
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Some questions after a tragic story....

Hey man I did this same swap a year ago all I needed was of course the engine and tranny, wiring harness, computer, hydr. brake assy.and driveshaft, also need to have and H or X pipe and exhaust. I also needed the steering wheel and pedal assy. because I went from an auto to a manual. after all is said and done get a dealer reflash and you will be good to go. Cost my about 1000 bucks and 3 months worth of free time. Anything else hit me up!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Rebaged it of course.... GT performace with v6 insurance!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

man that sucks bad, goodto see you back though. the whole swap seems like a ton of work if you ask me but if you can do it yourself, go for it. as for badges, i would shave 'em all off [8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

The only badge you really have to worry about not being "right" would be your rear Mach badge. The fender emblems are the same on sixxers as they are on 03 Machs. Just replace the rear emblem with something like 281 or something. I wouldn't put Mach on there or anything. Use some sort of badge that makes it look different than a v6 though.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

glad to hear you're okay, car will be alright
Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 AM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear you are ok.

You could easily do a swap like that with what parts you have from the buy back.

Personally, I would think that going from a Mach to anything lesser wouldn't be too satisfying.
There is nothing wrong with a GT (I have one) or a V6 but you were driving around in a realMach.
You can make a V6 donor car look likeanything but it still will be a clone and there is nothing wrong with that either as far as I am concerned but I would at least want nothing less than what I had........................just my thoughts.

You got your insurance payout right? Take that money + sell whatever parts you can from the carcass and either buy another Mach or hell get a terminator.

Anyway, if you do a swap let us know and show pictures of the project. It would be a fun project.Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

He has all the parts... I see no reason for him to buy another mach 1 when he can have one at a V6 price. Probably will come out ahead on the insurance money... time for a FI 4v