4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How the F*** do I get to two top bolts holding the tr-3650 to the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:19 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How the F*** do I get to two top bolts holding the tr-3650 to the motor?

I've done it both ways, if the car is not on a lift then I get it from the top with a 6 pt. box wrench, from under I loosen the 2 motor mount nuts and lower the tail of the trans for some extra room thenuse 2 extentions and a 6 pt. swivel socket or the same but with an impact gun. I know that not everyone has these tools but hopefully you can borrow them from some body, good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How the F*** do I get to two top bolts holding the tr-3650 to the motor?

ok...did it myself...im a tech...using a wrench and trying to get it from top or w/e...no sorry...all you need to do.. is lower the tranny from the tranny cross memeber/mount whatver u want to call it get a long and i mean pretty long extension with a swivel and socket... have your head by like the back of the tranny puut a light up in there and you should see the bolts and should be able to get them with the socket/extension no problem.. had my tranny out in like 2hrs (doing it on the ground with jack stands)
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

really? cause they come out from the top pretty damn easy too on jack stands[&:]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i lowered the tranny a couple inches on a couple of different cars to do it... the only time i got them from the top was when i was pulling my motor and the top bolts were in plain sight from no intake manifold... lol.a 13mm swivel socket and a long extension or a few of them if you have to is all you need. and for the starter bolts, all 3 of them arent hard.. i can have it out on a car with stock k member in 20 minutes, with mine i have it out in and the new one in about 5 min. (tubular k member)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

ok...did it myself...im a tech...using a wrench and trying to get it from top or w/e...no sorry...all you need to do.. is lower the tranny from the tranny cross memeber/mount whatver u want to call it get a long and i mean pretty long extension with a swivel and socket... have your head by like the back of the tranny puut a light up in there and you should see the bolts and should be able to get them with the socket/extension no problem.. had my tranny out in like 2hrs (doing it on the ground with jack stands)
No offense but just cause you're a Tech doesn't make your way any easier.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MineralGrey

No, it only means that hes had more experience on numerous different cars, and was TRAINED in the easiest/least invasive techniques of car repair, but whats a few years of schooling and job experience when you have your own super awesome ideas, right? Forget what the professionals say, they only want the job done right, in the least amount of time possible anyway.

TimeforMiller has torn my engine down and put it back together pretty much on his own (i helped a little ), and pretty damn quickly if i do say so myself (a few hours). Hes a damn good mechanic and i trust his advice on pretty much everything with my car, repair, performance, whatever. Hes the first guy i go to when i have a question or need advice.

I got your back, mr flail.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

Well after sitting under there for an hour, I finally got that last stater bolt out. I think Im going to leave that one out so i dont have to deal with it again.
I ended up using about 2.5 feet of extensions with a swivel a quarter of the way from the bolt's and used a breaker bar. I ran the extensions above the tranny while it was hanging ( unbolted mounts)
Took me litteraly ten minutes to get the two top bolts out once I figured it out.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

+2
its the only way i can see to do it........practically
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

and just because you suck at fixing cars doesnt mean im wrong
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

No, it only means that hes had more experience on numerous different cars, and was TRAINED in the easiest/least invasive techniques of car repair, but whats a few years of schooling and job experience when you have your own super awesome ideas, right? Forget what the professionals say, they only want the job done right, in the least amount of time possible anyway.

TimeforMiller has torn my engine down and put it back together pretty much on his own (i helped a little ), and pretty damn quickly if i do say so myself (a few hours). Hes a damn good mechanic and i trust his advice on pretty much everything with my car, repair, performance, whatever. Hes the first guy i go to when i have a question or need advice.

I got your back, mr flail.

damn straight george knows whats up

Quick Reply: How the F*** do I get to two top bolts holding the tr-3650 to the motor?