4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Solid axle vs IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Snap

Default Solid axle vs IRS?

Any opinions regarding whether the preference runs to the solid rear axle vs the independent rear suspension would be appreciated.
Looking forward to our 1st Mustang purchase and not sure whether to go blown standard or svt. Power is a definate requirement but suspension........
We have IRS in (dare I say it??) a C5 and it is very comfortable and corners like a cat BUT it doesn't get off the line very well at all....hop, hop,
The purpose of the Stang would not be long distance journeys like the C5 is.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Solid axle vs IRS?

heh.. i know very little if anything. from what i've read, IRS is better for handling and shat, solid is better for the drag strip. IRS breaks loose more easily or something. i don't know from experience, as i've only had a GT. never drove a cobra for comparison.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

I have a 99 GT and I drove an 03 Cobra. The Cobra handles very well and is glued to the road and comes off the line rather quick, but I feel more solid in the GT from the start even if the Cobra would get me some time down the road. So far my entire rear end is still stock so it could be even more stiff. My advise find some one that has each and try them. If you are just going to drag then I would go with the solid rear.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Klaven911

I have a 03 GT (solid axle) and my dad has a 03 Cobra (IRS) and I have raced in both. The cobra handles a thousand times better and is a much comfortable ride. For cornering the solid axe doesnt seem to be very good, hit a small bump in the road while cornering at high speeds and its all over. Just a small bump at low speeds while cornering and the whole rear end jumps and swings a bit. For drag racing both seem to do just fine, but I suppose that it driver-dependent. While street racing the Cobra I havent had any tire hop issues with either me or my dad driving the car. And yes the IRS does keep you glued to the road, my dad has taken corners at 150+ with little or no problem.

As for the cars themselves, not just the suspension, I would say go for the Cobra. It is a limited production car and will be worth a lot more 30 years from now than the GT will. The Cobra handles like a dream compared to the GT, is SCĂ©d, has better braking, looks better, has a bulletproof engine, has a 6 speed, etc.

This is all really just personal opinion, the best way to find out what you like more is to research and drive them. Make a decision you will be happy with in the months/years to come. Mustangs are sweet rides, and have a hell of a vintage history. True american muscle at a great price. I would go with the 03/04 Cobra, but if you decide to go GT....go with the 99+ which is much better IMHO. No offence to those out there that read this post and have otherwise. Or perhaps....go with the god awesome 2007 Shelby GT500, I know my dad is already trying to order one.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

We had a thread on this a couple of days ago..

https://mustangforums.com/m_446788/tm.htm

Check it out...

May give you a better idea of what to look for...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph
00 Mustang GT - Too Slow to Race, so far.....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

i had a gt, now i have a cobra. I havent really got on the cobra yet, but i tried to a few times today and they seem about the same. The cobra however like everyone else is saying seems to handle way better. i can feel it sticking to the ground.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:03 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Klaven911

I have a 03 GT (solid axle) and my dad has a 03 Cobra (IRS) and I have raced in both. The cobra handles a thousand times better and is a much comfortable ride. For cornering the solid axe doesnt seem to be very good, hit a small bump in the road while cornering at high speeds and its all over. Just a small bump at low speeds while cornering and the whole rear end jumps and swings a bit. For drag racing both seem to do just fine, but I suppose that it driver-dependent. While street racing the Cobra I havent had any tire hop issues with either me or my dad driving the car. And yes the IRS does keep you glued to the road, my dad has taken corners at 150+ with little or no problem.

As for the cars themselves, not just the suspension, I would say go for the Cobra. It is a limited production car and will be worth a lot more 30 years from now than the GT will. The Cobra handles like a dream compared to the GT, is SCĂ©d, has better braking, looks better, has a bulletproof engine, has a 6 speed, etc.

This is all really just personal opinion, the best way to find out what you like more is to research and drive them. Make a decision you will be happy with in the months/years to come. Mustangs are sweet rides, and have a hell of a vintage history. True american muscle at a great price. I would go with the 03/04 Cobra, but if you decide to go GT....go with the 99+ which is much better IMHO. No offence to those out there that read this post and have otherwise. Or perhaps....go with the god awesome 2007 Shelby GT500, I know my dad is already trying to order one.
Where is your dad doing corners at 150? I don't care what car it is. If your doing 150 in a corner it is a problem. You slip = you die.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:47 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

haha ya corners at 150... i think u might be exagerationg a tad bit there ... i dont think any car can take a corner at 150... and a corner is not classified as a straight road curving a little bit... a corner is a 90 degree turn, or something close to it ... atleast in my book
Old 04-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Snap

Thanks for the input.
As expected, IRS is best all around, just not a good hole shotter.
Our other performance ride with IRS tends to hop, even once underway if the power overtakes traction. Great ride but takes work to keep the rubber on the ground.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Just make sure you have a lot fo rubber, so when you hit the ground it GOES!

Quick Reply: Solid axle vs IRS?