4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 AM
slow2002gt

Default Engine Cleaning?

Do you really want a clean engine? Do you just want a smoke show?

Well, if all you want it a smoke show, get a bottle of seafoam and knock yourself out. But, if you want to really do something, try this:

Supplies: Get a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner. (If you go to a GM dealer, don't worry, they won't hurt you, pack a handgun and maby some Kevlar clothing just in case) Get some GM Top Engine Cleaner. It is fairly cheap. Now, take a wiff of it, notice the burn, maby a slight buzz, but don't sniff it too much. If you don't want the GM stuff, get a can of carb cleaner, that will do, but just not as strong. Get a small funnel with a flexable rubber/plastic hose on the end. Get a new set of plugs.

With engine cool, shut off fuel pump, (unplug, pull relay, fuse, whatever) and pull out spark plugs. Pour a little solvent in each cylinder. Turn motor over. Pour more in each cylinder and then put in old plugs. Go to bed, or step away for at least 8 hours, bs on stangnet and exchange more wothless posts with Strype. Do not try to crank engine. Now pull old plugs out, turn engine over a lot, get all that crap out of the cylinders. I usually put a little more solvent in for a rince. But get it good and turned out. Put old plugs back in, attach plug wires. You may want to rince the liquified carbon sludge off the headers, it stinks. Reconnect fuel pump (relay, however you did it) and start engine. It may take a few tries, so don't give up easy and come back cussing out 90mustangGT for messing up you car, I didn't. When if fires, you'll get one hell of a smoke show. Run the engine and revv it up some. Get it all burned out until the smoke stops, maby some more. Now, pull plugs, put in new plugs, change oil and filter.

This is the official procedure from GM to get the 6.0 to stop detonating from carbon build up. It really works.

Anyone personally try this method? How effective is it vs other methods (cleaners etc)
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Cleaning?

What makes you think that you need to do it?

ORIGINAL: slow2002gt

Do you really want a clean engine? Do you just want a smoke show?

Well, if all you want it a smoke show, get a bottle of seafoam and knock yourself out. But, if you want to really do something, try this:

Supplies: Get a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner. (If you go to a GM dealer, don't worry, they won't hurt you, pack a handgun and maby some Kevlar clothing just in case) Get some GM Top Engine Cleaner. It is fairly cheap. Now, take a wiff of it, notice the burn, maby a slight buzz, but don't sniff it too much. If you don't want the GM stuff, get a can of carb cleaner, that will do, but just not as strong. Get a small funnel with a flexable rubber/plastic hose on the end. Get a new set of plugs.

With engine cool, shut off fuel pump, (unplug, pull relay, fuse, whatever) and pull out spark plugs. Pour a little solvent in each cylinder. Turn motor over. Pour more in each cylinder and then put in old plugs. Go to bed, or step away for at least 8 hours, bs on stangnet and exchange more wothless posts with Strype. Do not try to crank engine. Now pull old plugs out, turn engine over a lot, get all that crap out of the cylinders. I usually put a little more solvent in for a rince. But get it good and turned out. Put old plugs back in, attach plug wires. You may want to rince the liquified carbon sludge off the headers, it stinks. Reconnect fuel pump (relay, however you did it) and start engine. It may take a few tries, so don't give up easy and come back cussing out 90mustangGT for messing up you car, I didn't. When if fires, you'll get one hell of a smoke show. Run the engine and revv it up some. Get it all burned out until the smoke stops, maby some more. Now, pull plugs, put in new plugs, change oil and filter.

This is the official procedure from GM to get the 6.0 to stop detonating from carbon build up. It really works.

Anyone personally try this method? How effective is it vs other methods (cleaners etc)
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
slow2002gt

I always like to clean my stangs every so often but ive only used seafoam and or lucas fuel injector to clean it out other then that i havent tried any other method to clean the engine.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

k uhh, you really want to clean your motor out? put transmission fluid through the top of your intake, then you can really clean your motor out. transmission fluid is a cleaner.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

k uhh, you really want to clean your motor out? put transmission fluid through the top of your intake, then you can really clean your motor out. transmission fluid is a cleaner.
+1 we'd always put some transmission fluid straight in the gas tank. in fact, if you run certain types of aviation fuel (we ran it in our circle track cars because the class didn't allow racing fuels) they recommend to run transmission fluid in the fuel (can't remember the mix, it wasn't a whole lot though).
Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
slow2002gt

Transmission fluid? I honestly have never heard of it being used that way... any stickys on that?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

no stickys that i know of, but racers and mechanics have been using it for years in carbureted applications... i'm sure it would work just the same for a fuel injected engine.also, you can use a light spray of transmission fluid on your K&N air filter instead of their name-brand oil that comes with the cleaning kits if you want to save a little extra money.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

no stickys that i know of, but racers and mechanics have been using it for years in carbureted applications... i'm sure it would work just the same for a fuel injected engine.also, you can use a light spray of transmission fluid on your K&N air filter instead of their name-brand oil that comes with the cleaning kits if you want to save a little extra money.
+1 Ever heard of marvel mystery oil. Its been used as a fuel/oil addative for decades to clean your engine and its basically just auto transmission fluid. I don't know how friendly it is with catalytic converter though. I've never heard of using it as K+N oil though, makes sense its just oil. Just can't use too much cause it gets on your MAF and will make your car run like ****.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

I've never heard of using it as K+N oil though, makes sense its just oil. Just can't use too much cause it gets on your MAF and will make your car run like ****.
yeah i'd heard of people using it as filter oil before and asked both Jegs and Summit Racing and they both told me that it's pretty much the same thing. i've been using it on both street cars and circle track cars and have never had any issues. i use just a light spray though, put it in a spray bottle and set it to a fine mist. you don't want to cake it on there too much.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

good thing i work for GM and have the right special tools to do that...even tho im not going to do it on the stang...

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaning?