4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car is shaking, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default Car is shaking, please help.

Several days ago I noticed that my car (2000 GT 5-speed) was shaking a lot more than usual while driving around. The faster I go the worse the shaking is. At first, I thought my wheels and tires weren't balanced correctly because Irecently replaced my rear tires. Well tonight I went and got them re-balancedand the car still shakes. And on top of that, to make things worse, my clutch is starting to wear really fast. It used to grab around mid-pedal, but now it's grabbing all the way at the top. Maybe the shaking has something to do with the clutch wearing, but I would think if that was the case the there wouldn't be shaking when the tranny is fully engaged. Does anyone know what this shaking could be?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car is shaking, please help.

Well, I've been searching thru and reading some other posts and saw that a warped flywheel might cause shaking like I described. The only thing is, the car doesn't shake when it's not moving whether I'm idling or reving in neutral.

Also, even when I'm going fast, if I slightlypush the throttle the shaking getsweaker at certain RPMs. It's almost like I can reduce the vibration by matching areverberation at some RPM. My only other guesses would be the tires I just bought are deffective, or something is wrong with the rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
yankees.girl

mine was shaking really bad when i would let off the gas just got tires put on myself blamed it on that then came to find out today that 2 of the four driveshaft bolts came out!!!!!!!just changed ram clutch also and shaking was caused by putting the throw out bearing in backwards.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

mine shaking while warming
Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

if it's only shaking at speed, it may be your driveshaft. it's possible some debris on the road hit and bent your driveshaft (you would have felt it though), or maybe a bolt or two came loose. when you get up to speed, if your driveshaft is a even a little off-balance, then it can make the whole car shake like that. if you have a jack and some jackstands, get underneath and make sure all the driveshaft bolts are tight, and inspect the u-joints just to make sure nothing seems out of place. leave the rear of the car on jack stands (so the rear tires are well above the ground), start the car up and put it in 1st gear and just let it idle so that the driveshaft can spin. look underneath while it's running, and you should be able to tell if that's what's causing the problem. other than that just take it to a mechanic.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

it could be the clutch or flywheel but i agree with texas_stang02....check your driveshaft and make sure everythings all good before you rule that out
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 PM
jamesdl

Mine does the same thing. it drives really smooth up until about 50 and then from 50 to 60 it shakes a little and then from 60 to 70 it shakes real bad and then from 70 to 120 it drives as smooth as can be. i though it could be bad alignment or out of blalance but that has been checked a few times by different places. i dont have the best tires in the world, could that cause it too?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

It could be the pressure plates, ifout of alignment they will shake at speed.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
northbaseball22
1st Gear Member

The same thing happend in my buds camaro. The faster he went the more it shook. He believes its somthing to do with the transmission.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Check your U-Joints they can cause vibrations too.

Quick Reply: Car is shaking, please help.