4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

flushing cooling system?

Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

Default flushing cooling system?

how do u completly flush the entire cooling system?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: flushing cooling system?

I would think if you want to completly flush it, drain out the old stuff, fill it with water, run the engine for just a bit, drain that out and put your coolant/h20 mixture in.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 AM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

but from where do u clear out the entire thing? i figure this might work... u just unplug the radiator cap and drain it from thereand run your car while the radiator is unpluged, while the car is running have a hose in the resovoir filling it up until all u see comming out from the radiator is water.... then plug it up and put in radiator flush stuff , run it on heater for a minute, let that drain out same way as i mentioned above, and then refill with all coolant... only thing i havent figured out is how to take out all the water from the system ... maybe u let coolant run through for a while? damn it i dont know, anyone????
Old 04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
IceHawk2000GT
1st Gear Member

What you want to do is this...

down at the bottom of the radiator you find a small screw plug. This is how you will drain out the old coolant mix... now as you can imagne this wont get get every last drop out so fill it up with straight water and repeat the drain process ( you can leave the plug out and just leave a hose filling the radiator constantly to bassically purge the system down to just water and then let the water drain while the engine runs as well but there is a much higher chance of getting your antifreeze all over the ground when whatever your draining into fills)

once satisfied with how clear the water your putting in comes out (not tinted in color by antifreeze) let it all drain out and drip for a few minutes o getas much out as possible thenput the drain plug back in and fill with your water/antifreeze mix....
Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

That idea won't fly. Namely because allowing cooler water in to the system while simultaneously draining will cause the thermsotat to close and prevent flow. Either remove the thermostat for the purge or be content to "fill, run till hot, drain, repeat" process.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
IceHawk2000GT
1st Gear Member

Dont know whats up with that, but it is always worked for me when i was in a hurry. But I agree it is better to just fill it run it up hot and drain again as many times as needed.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

everything you guys are talking about doing will only flush whats in the radiator, unless you have a coolant flush machine you have to take it somewhere, its normally anywhere from 30ish to 50ish
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Running the car with water flushes out/cleanes the whole system. It doesn't just clean the radiator unless the thermostat is closed. Yes...it drains from the radiator. A flush is $79.99
Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

yes obv running water through while the car is running with rinse the whole system but then how do you get all the water out? you sure can drain the radiator and get the water out of there, but how about the water thats in the block still? the only way I can think of to flush the whole system is to have it done with the machine just like I said, and price varies on location
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 PM
IceHawk2000GT
1st Gear Member

Silver if you allow for the plain water still in the block it is easy to just adjust the mix in the radiator so that when rn next it will mix fully throughout the system.... personally i run as little antifreeze as possible as more water in the mix means a cooler running engine

so in my case i run it through till its all water and then drain the radiator and mix it to half antifreeze half water and i run a very nice low temp but still have no problems in the cold winter time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flushing cooling system?