4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drag Slicks!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
whitneywhite

Default Drag Slicks!?

Hey guys! I'm pissed off...i went to the track this weekend and i didnt run wut i thought i would. i have a 2000 mustang GT. i have 285 sumitomo street tires sitting on 18 inch saleen rims (Chrome), 3.73 gears, bbk cold air intake, and a flowmaster catback exhaust. it was about 73 degrees at the track and my best time was a 14.033. should i have ran better?

if i get slicks how much will it take off of my 1/4 mile time approx? which type should i get? size? i heard that if i get too sticky of a tire and launch too high i could **** up the rear end, i dont know that much about cars and am really looking for some good advice on this. thanks so much!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Drag Slicks!?

Get yourself some nice DR's like Nitto 555R's or go with an M/T ET Street for strictly track, and you'll see quite a few tenths get shaved off once you learn how to heat them properly. Those 18"s aren't helping you, either.

As far as your time goes, it's hard to tell. What was your trap? 60'? A lot of different factors would tell what went wrong, or if it's just your car doesn't have anything left in it.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whitneywhite

if i get slicks how much will it take off of my 1/4 mile time approx? which type should i get? size? i heard that if i get too sticky of a tire and launch too high i could **** up the rear end, i dont know that much about cars and am really looking for some good advice on this. thanks so much!
I make over 400 at the rear wheels doing 5k clutch sidestep launches on DRs and so far I haven't even gotten close to breaking anything. Unless you're gonna put a big tire on there (real slick) you'll be fine, especially with 18's.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

I make over 400 at the rear wheels doing 5k clutch sidestep launches on DRs and so far I haven't even gotten close to breaking anything. Unless you're gonna put a big tire on there (real slick) you'll be fine, especially with 18's.
tick tock tick tock.

Seriously, if your sidestepping the clutch though your more than likely spinning the tire at least a little. Either way on a stock rearend its a ticking time bomb.

On bolton only power levels though, a nice nitto drag radial or even MT will be fine. I hooked very well with a 275 nitto even on bone stock suspension (with just boltons).
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

tick tock tick tock.

Seriously, if your sidestepping the clutch though your more than likely spinning the tire at least a little. Either way on a stock rearend its a ticking time bomb.

On bolton only power levels though, a nice nitto drag radial or even MT will be fine. I hooked very well with a 275 nitto even on bone stock suspension (with just boltons).
For me a Mild Bolt-on GT i have 315 Nitto 555R's and i BOG what ever i do at the track... Nxt time i go and wait 6hours for 2 runs ill have to try them with more Air in the tires.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

tick tock tick tock.

agreed. Also how do you know you aren't even coming close to breaking something. IMO an axle is like a light bulb, you don't get a whole lot of warning that it's going out, just one day... POP!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

Hey guys! I'm pissed off...i went to the track this weekend and i didnt run wut i thought i would. i have a 2000 mustang GT. i have 285 sumitomo street tires sitting on 18 inch saleen rims (Chrome), 3.73 gears, bbk cold air intake, and a flowmaster catback exhaust. it was about 73 degrees at the track and my best time was a 14.033. should i have ran better?

thats your problem.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

tick tock tick tock.

agreed. Also how do you know you aren't even coming close to breaking something. IMO an axle is like a light bulb, you don't get a whole lot of warning that it's going out, just one day... POP!
Yep, and nothing says you can't make 20 passes perfectly fine and break on pass 21.... but on the stock axles almost any power level +traction + 6000 RPM clutch dumps and its only a matter of time. IMO your probably getting away with it because like I said, even though your 60' is ok your still spinning some and taking the strain off. A set of slicks would make it go boom.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

When I get ready to put my 28x11.5x15's on this fall I'll have money saved up to build the rear end. Yes it may be a time bomb, but I don't think I'll break em on 555R's when a majority of racing is on the city blacktops, especially with only 3 months to go.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If your doing 5K sidestep launches on 555Rs you are not launching... your spinning like crazy and taking off slow. No way a nitto D/R will take a clutch sidestep of almost any RPM at 400 WHP and not spin like crazy.

I figured you were talking about something likea MT ET street d/r, not a nitto. The nittos usualy won't break the rear regardless of power level, unless your at a REALLY sticky track and just get unlucky.

I can blow my 315 nittos off if I don't pedal at even 2500-3000 RPM, let alone a clutch sidestep. Even at 3K if I sidestep the clutch and pin it all the nittos are going to do is boil off.

Quick Reply: Drag Slicks!?