4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Tranny Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

Default Need Tranny Help

So last month my throwout and 5th gear decided to go, so I figured I would replace them both. I wanted to buy the T45R but when I called they told me that tremec doesnt make parts for them anymore, so he told to buy a T3650 becauseit can handle more power thru it. Which should i go with the T45 or 3650. I had ordered the T3650 after he told me about it but like 10 min later he called me and told metnat ineed a shift kit and speedometer calibrator. So i cancelled the order because it was reaching $2200 and i cant afford that, I was wondering if there are any other places where i can get a tranny for my car for like $1500 or less? What do you think I should go with?Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Tranny Help

Did you try this site? http://www.thedrivenman.com/KE/Ford/...ions/T-45R.htm
Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I'd say go with the t 3650, because they are canceling the T45 line totally. That's why that T45R got cancelled, they aren't even planning to make parts anymore. Rumor has it, that there will soon be replacement performance parts for the 3650. Since your not pushing 400+ HP I'd say just get a rebuilt one, they have them on D&D performance for $999. But, if you have a T45 now, you'll have to get a new shifter(it may come with it) and the speed cal. At that price, I'd go ahead and change clutch kit along with it. As far as I know, the T45/ T3650 should be a direct swap.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bt1288

Did you try this site? http://www.thedrivenman.com/KE/Ford/...ions/T-45R.htm
They cancelled it, taking it off their site soon.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

I'd say go with the t 3650, because they are canceling the T45 line totally. That's why that T45R got cancelled, they aren't even planning to make parts anymore. Rumor has it, that there will soon be replacement performance parts for the 3650. Since your not pushing 400+ HP I'd say just get a rebuilt one, they have them on D&D performance for $999. But, if you have a T45 now, you'll have to get a new shifter(it may come with it) and the speed cal. At that price, I'd go ahead and change clutch kit along with it. As far as I know, the T45/ T3650 should be a direct swap.
Ok, so Ill go with the T3650, thats a direct swap right? Any modifications needed? I looked on D&D Performance and there arnt any links to the 3650, how did you find it on their website?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Click the specials link, they'll come up there. The only extar stuff you'll have to buy is a shifter, and speed cal, it may be different if you have a T45 in there now. It should be a direct fit also.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

Click the specials link, they'll come up there. The only extar stuff you'll have to buy is a shifter, and speed cal, it may be different if you have a T45 in there now. It should be a direct fit also.
Yea right now i have the stock T45, what ya think steeda short throw and dalllasmustang speed cal?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I hear they are good, I have a pro 5.0 and love it. But you'll get a good mix of opinions on different type shifters on here. There are 2 I have experience with and absolutly hate, the B&M and the Hurst shifters. Other than that I can't speak for the others.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

I hear they are good, I have a pro 5.0 and love it. But you'll get a good mix of opinions on different type shifters on here. There are 2 I have experience with and absolutly hate, the B&M and the Hurst shifters. Other than that I can't speak for the others.
Alright, Hey thanks for all your help, I cant wait to get it back up and running its been up on stands now for almost a month. Oh and about the clutch i replaced it around 15,000 miles ago so it should be be in pretty good shape wouldnt ya think its a king cobra clutch. Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackMUstang96GT

Alright, Hey thanks for all your help, I cant wait to get it back up and running its been up on stands now for almost a month. Oh and about the clutch i replaced it around 15,000 miles ago so it should be be in pretty good shape wouldnt ya think its a king cobra clutch. Thanks again for the help!!!
yea you should be good to go then.

Quick Reply: Need Tranny Help