4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

aftermarket audio, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default aftermarket audio, need some help

So I have the stock Mach 460 sound system, minus the head unit. I put in a Pioneer 5900 headunit recently. Anyway, I don't know anything about car audio, but I want some subs. My friend is selling me his used 2 Alpine Type R 10"s in a box with an Alpine V12 amp. Should I take it to someone I know to have it installed? And is there anything special I need to do? I have been hearing stuff about problems because the Mach system is a "PREMIUM" system, so you have to wire a special way.... and crap like that. But many people say there is no problems with the mach system and aftermarket equipment. Can I get some insight on this? Thanks guys.

Andrew
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
02GTSteve
1st Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket audio, need some help

You can do it a couple of different ways. The way I would do it is if you have an RCA output on your Head Unit for subs then just run RCA's to the amp. This is a pretty easy install. You have to run a power line from the battery to the Amp. The a short ground for the amp. Along with the RCA's you will have a Remote power from the head unitto the Amp. (This wire is usually blue).

The other way is to splice into the factory system for the signal.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thank you for the help, sounds good to me. For you guys with subs: How is the trunk rattle?? Is dynamat worth the money? Also, do you mount them in the trunk facing the rear? Or do you just keep them on the back seat?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:20 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

The new 5900 has rca ports in the back like the other guy said and for some alpine type R! Yes those are one hell of a sub. It just depends on how you want your sound to be. Yes it will sound better, but go to walmart and their knock off is really really good for a fraction of the price. I would tell this to all my customers that come into bestbuy asking for it.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Hmm I will look for that at walmart. I don't know where to install or or how to though. Any tips?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Dynamat is NOT worth the money. If anything, use rubberized undercoating spray. You can find it at Autozone in the paint and body section. Its about $5 a can so buy 3 or 4, take all of your trunk panels and carpet out and spray the trunk and back of interior body panels. Do this at your own risk... don't be a dumbass and spray your convertible top (if you have one) or your back seats or do anything else stupid. Tape off the stuff you don't want to spray, but pretty much anything except electronics and colored wiring is a go if it is underneath panels or carpeting.

I have dynamat in one car, spray in another. The spray works JUST fine. I have ZERO rattle in my trunk w/ a 10" dual voice coil sub w/ 300+ watts going thru it.

About the Mach 460: If you are going to upgrade and put in a sub AND you already have an aftermarket head unit, I would STRONGLY encourage you to just do the whole car and replace your mid-range speakers.

I will be happy to help you through the process, as I did it myself on my 02 GT vert. You don't need to buy a four channel amplifier for your midrange speakers but I do recommend it. The power REALLY brings out the sound at high speeds. Like I said, I have a convertible.... the amp is a necessity with the top down.

You will need to run new wiring to your midrange speakers... you can do this while running your subwoofer RCA and power cables back to your trunk. Its best to just to the entire job all at once. DONT try messing with the factory Mach 460 wiring. Just LEAVE IT ALONE and spend some time working on your car. I promise you will feel great and proud when you finish this job.

PM me if you need any assistance, I am happy to help and have done the entire job before with professional results.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
johnymondoo

You will need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp. Then you will need to ground the amp...there is usually a good ground on the latch assembly to the trunk (behind the plastic on the latch in the very rear of the trunk). next what I did, that is the easiest, is to splice in to the audio outputs going to the stock amps under the rear deck. Simply unhook the inputs going in to the stock amps and splice in your inputs to the amp. then hook everything back up and your good to go. If your not comfortable with doing it yourself any audio shop should be able to do it very easily. maybe an hours worth of labor.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Muscle GT
1st Gear Member

As far as sub placement goes, I heard that if you face them out towards the rear of the car, they are louder and if you point them in towards your seats the sound comes out a little muffled. Mine are faced in towards the seats, but I can't really compare the sound to my friend's 2 12" MTX subs that put out a total of 1200W! Either way, I think you will be impressed with the bass lol

btw, i am loving those gauges!!!