4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

painting stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

Default painting stock rims

I am looking into painting my stock rims black. just wondering how big of a pain in the *** it is and how long do you think the paint will hold up. I read a few how to's on it and it seemed easy enough.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
gofastbobby
1st Gear Member

Default RE: painting stock rims

prep work is the important part, don't take any shortcuts on the prep. duplicolor makes wheel paint, in spray cans, thats supposed to hold up better to the abuse of the road. they also make clear coat that will protect your wheels even more. i have a couple cans in the back of my car, but haven't have the gumption to try it yet. i'll let you know how it works if i get around to it anytime soon.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

I just don't want to try it and have the rims come out like **** then be stuck with ****ty looking rims. I've had mixed reactions from professionals i ask. My buddies uncle said don't bother becuase the paint will chip away very quickly. Then the guy who does all my body work for me said he would do them for me and it would hold up no problem so i figured i would ask you guys your thoughts.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Took me about 4 hours to paint my stock bullitts. It was very easy. Did it almost a year ago and they are on my wifes car now and still shine like they are wet.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

do you have to use a certain kind of paint or can you use paint that you would use to paint any type of body part on your car
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

i painted mine with cheap walmart paint back inmarch sanded them down, primed them and then painted with gloss black and clearcoat and they really turned out nice and it doesnt take long either. fyi they still look good to this day
Old 06-11-2008, 04:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I just used some paint from walmart and clear coat(lots of it)

Here are some pics from when I painted the wifes old stock wheels

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

If this is going to be your final upgrade, then do it right, have it powder coated, have them put a few coats of clear on it and be done with it. I know this is a bit extreme but if you don't plan on getting other wheels later the powder coating will far uphold and last longer than any spray can of paint you get.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
maireeka
1st Gear Member

The whole thing about powdercoating cheap stock wheels is that the powdercoat itself costs more than the wheels are worth.

Imo, it's okay to cheap out if you've already got cheap wheels. Use good quality paint, make sure you prep well, and clear coat the hell out of them.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM
lgwilson
1st Gear Member

After seeing your pics oxford, you've got me thinking of doing this. That looks good. I've got a torch red with stock grey "bullits". I think the wheels would look much better on my car black instead. Hmmm....

Quick Reply: painting stock rims