4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default MGW short shifter

I am about to purchase an aftermarket short shifter and I decided to go wit MGW after hearing that the tri-ax isn't as good. I see that they have 2 handle colors, blue and gold. Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two except for just the colors?

And is there anything else I should be getting with this shifter? I already know it's a good idea to get a new gaskets but is there anything else?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: MGW short shifter

MGW has not sold two handles for their shifter for years. On the original model they sold a red and a blue handle, one was longer than the other, I don't remember which was which.[/align][/align]I think you are confusing the orange handle that comes with the short-shifter (the only handle available for the short-shifter) with their blue anodised handle kit, a replacement for the OEM handle. [/align][/align]It will not fit the short-shifter.[/align]
Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StriderTacticaL

I am about to purchase an aftermarket short shifter and I decided to go wit MGW after hearing that the tri-ax isn't as good. I see that they have 2 handle colors, blue and gold. Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two except for just the colors?

And is there anything else I should be getting with this shifter? I already know it's a good idea to get a new gaskets but is there anything else?

Thanks,
Brandon
mgw shifters come with rtv sealant. no need to purchase any gaskets.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sorry I missed the "what else do I need part", I would highly recommend a CobraBob shifter gasket, it's $7 for the T-45/T-5/3650 set and will reduced cabin noise, isn't at all messy, and provides a better seal...
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Sorry I missed the "what else do I need part", I would highly recommend a CobraBob shifter gasket, it's $7 for the T-45/T-5/3650 set and will reduced cabin noise, isn't at all messy, and provides a better seal...
its really not needed though. my mgw doesnt create that much cabin noise. i just used the rtv sealant from the kit and all is good.

rtv really isnt that messy if you apply it carefully.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:01 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. On stangmods.com they sel lthe MGW with gaskets, is that what I can better use instead of sealant?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Racing2fast
1st Gear Member

Your over thinking it, get what your comfortable with, If you want a gasket, buy it, if your cool with using a silicone gasket seal, and putting a bead around it then do it. MGW sends you everything you need.

ps: I LOVE my MGW, it's great!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks.

So is this the only colored handle they currently off and the only shifter for the 3650? Does anyone know any cheaper places than stangmods? They do seem to offer it with the gasket though which seems to be everything I need.

http://www.stangmods.com/MGW-Short-S...ts-p/00882.htm

Can someone tell me if they come with instructions and what other tools will I need that it doesn't come with? Sorry to sound too **** but I live alone and if I am halfway through the install and I am needing a tool or something, I will have no way to get around so I need to make sure I have everything beforeI begin.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh and will it be a good idea to order this as well: http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifte...ust_boot.shtml

whatever it does?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

The shifter gasket you get from stangmods is a peice of crap. The bolt holes were not even close to lining up.
The shifter comes with instructions and it tells you what tools you will need.

Quick Reply: MGW short shifter