4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Alright new wide tires, rearend wants to walk out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Default Alright new wide tires, rearend wants to walk out

ok so i but 275 Toyo Proxes 4's on my 9" Cobra rimsa and when i accel out of a corner the rear end feels like it wants toover correct by itself... Which leads me to beleive the bushings are shot in the rear but i was also thinkin those two small strut/shock lookinthings could be bad... What the hell are they and what do they do. I can't figure out why they are needed?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Alright new wide tires, rearend wants to walk out

That is your 4-link rear. It is the biggest pile of crap in your rear suspesion. Actually it is there to fight changes in pinion angle along with fighting torsional rotation of the axle.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Check out Maximum Motorsports. They will help you correct that with some $$$.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defconfire

That is your 4-link rear. It is the biggest pile of crap in your rear suspesion. Actually it is there to fight changes in pinion angle along with fighting torsional rotation of the axle.
did you do the install on all your suspension?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

Ok so it is a four link type. So what goes bad under there that allows the axle to move? I mean bushings can only let it move so far right? I guess i'm feeling the little bit of play from worn out bushings?

And jmac72187what parts from maximum motorsports do you reccomend to fix my problem? Upper lower control arms and...?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

the only thing that can really wear out are bushings and shocks. might as well buy some new upper/lowers that include bushings and new axle bushings. those little shock thingys are called quad shocks they're cheap but i've heard that if you get stronger upper/lower ca's that you don't even need them.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to have to do something cause the car is almost uncontrollable the way it sits, what does everyone recomend for shocks? I was lookin into buy AGX's but man they are pricey... gotta pay to play i guess...
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
MachWon04
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87

Ok so it is a four link type. So what goes bad under there that allows the axle to move? I mean bushings can only let it move so far right? I guess i'm feeling the little bit of play from worn out bushings?

And jmac72187what parts from maximum motorsports do you reccomend to fix my problem? Upper lower control arms and...?
The design
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: AmericanRicer87

I'm going to have to do something cause the car is almost uncontrollable the way it sits, what does everyone recommend for shocks? I was lookin into buy AGX's but man they are pricey... gotta pay to play i guess...
[/align][/align]Where do you live, what are the road surfaces like?[/align][/align]Here in NE Florida they use lime rock as the aggregate in the McAdam and on older and/or well traveled roads it wears a smooth as glass. I have found that with wider "all-season" tires (like the Proxes 4) they would break loose very easily due to the larger, and therefore lower pressure, contact patch.[/align][/align]The Proxes 4 has a tread wear grade of 300, sothey're not going to be particularly sticky anyway.[/align]
Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

You should look into a Panhard bar, torque arm, controls arms, etc. Just look into the maximum grip box.

Quick Reply: Alright new wide tires, rearend wants to walk out