4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wow!! Need advice BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Wow!! Need advice BAD!!!

I've heard this sputtering noise that has constantly plagued my car forever. I've complained about it on here, to mechanics etc. The mechanics told me it was normal....I however knew it was not!

The sputtering would rise with the revs, and drop with the revs. It was unable to be heard from the engine bay, but could be heard clearly from the engine bay. I've noticed I've been going through oil much quicker, than ever before, yet my car wasn't smoking, nor was it dripping oil at all (I would know since it's garaged, and theres no drips at all).

So after driving 70 miles today, I thought it sounded a little worse so I eased off, for the rest of the way home. When I got in my driveway, I revved it to mid 3k RPM's, something popped, then it was PUTTERING LOUD! It was now coming from the engine bay and white smoke accompanied it. It sounded like it was about to explode, so I turned off the car. I don't know what the fluk to do?!

I do know that after the pop, it was no centralized around my drivers side intake mani, rear fuel injector (closest to driver), or around the EGR portion of the TB. I couldn't pinpoint it as I shut the car off, for fear she was ready to explode. But I did get to listen to and see a few puffs as the car wound down, and that's the area it was coming from.

Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wow!! Need advice BAD!!!

blew the head gasket. if there is oil leaking from around the head then thats your culprit. if not, could be something much more serious, like fubar'd valve or such.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Check your coolant for oil, and check your oil for water. That sucks man, good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Ok, so I took off the second coil pack on the drivers side (second one closest to the rear of the engine bay), and when I pulled it off the spark plug just came right out. So to clarify......I didn't touch my spark plug in any way, it just came right out with the coil plug.

When I tried to hand tighten it back in, the head is stripped. It just will not catch.

What can I do in this situation?

How much does it cost to have the head re-tapped for a new spark plug?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You can do it yourself relitively cheap. If it ever happens to me, I'm just using it as an excuse the buy new heads.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

I know a guy with a honda and that happened to him... but for him it shot out of the head tore his wire to hell and put a nice dent in his hood... looked like a nice size hailstone hit the under side of the hood lol. Don't recall how much it cost him to have his head re-tapped.

Riggs
Old 08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn dude. You seem to be having a bad run of luck with this car.[&:]

It might be time to look for a heads/cam combo. There's some for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

Damn dude. You seem to be having a bad run of luck with this car.[&:]

It might be time to look for a heads/cam combo. There's some for sale in the classifieds section.
If all goes according to plan (which usually nothing does [:@]) if I get what I want for my 57 Chevy I'm selling, I'm going to rebuild the whole engine and get new heads, cams, forged internals (pistons, crank etc), forged bottom end, and then build up a few more things.

I want to go the NA route, because I've always wanted a fully built NA car.

I'm considering having the compression raised since I'm sticking with the all motor route. But again this is all if I sell my 57 or not.

Otherwise I'm going to have to re-tap this thing. [&o]
Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
02 GT
4th Gear Member

i've heard of the spark plugs stripping and coming out on the 4.6's (i've re-tapped heads a couple times for it), but i agree that this would be a good time to do heads and cams. I just did the 4v swap on mine last month, one of the best upgrades i ever did.