4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW shifter installation help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Default MGW shifter installation help

Does anyone have experience installing an MGW short throw shifter? I bought one for my 2002 GT, the model for the 3650 transmission. The installation instructions are pretty simple, but I hit a problem 1/2 way through. I removed the 4 bolts holding the factory shifter to the transmission, but the shifter will not come free. It is siliconed to the top or something... the instructions say to hit the sides of the shift **** a few times and apply light pressure from side to side so that it releases. I tried everything and cannot get it to budge. I'm scare that reefing on it might damage something in the transmission. How can I get this factory shifter to loosen off? Any good ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW shifter installation help

Put the stock handle back on the shifter so you have more leverage and just pull the **** out of it. There's a little ball on the bottom of the shifter that pops in which moves the shift forks in the tranny. That's what you're stuck on. The stock shifter has been in there for about 6 years now, so you're gonna need some muscle to pull it out. Just pull straight up on it and it should pop out.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
MachWon04
1st Gear Member

I just made a similar "scared" kind of post the other day when I did mine. Don't be scared. If you haven't reattached the handle, you'll have to do that in order to get enough leverage to pop it off. I just leaned in from the passanger side and pulled with both hands towards me and it popped right off. Takes a LOT of force. I spent longer worrying about breaking something removing the shifter than I did the entire removal/installation.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:16 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I too just installed my MGW and I was REALLY worried about this step. I felt like I was deliberately trying to break my transmission. All you do is put the handle and stuff back on and pull really hard to one side and it will come off. Just get ready to catch it cause it will suddently come off and you don't want to slam the handle to the sides of your console or something.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 AM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Is there anything in the transmission that might wreck by doing this? The instructions say to not reef too hard on it, but it sounds like you guys were ok to do that in order to remove it. And I should try and pull straight up or side to side, but not top to bottom right?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

all i did was take a hammer, put the claw end on the edge of it and pull up. after a few tugs it popped up.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Just move it hard side to side and if that does not work, just pull to one side really hard and it WILL come off. Do not move it up/down wards.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I got under the car with a screwdriver and popped it loose from the bottom.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

As stated above, just rock from side to side, you wont break anything just don't put the hurts to it. If its like my 01 it is silicon-ed in and been in there for a while.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
r3gan
1st Gear Member

Cool

Thanks for all the help guys! I managed to pop it off tonight. I used the hammer idea prying from one side, then some steady force pulling towards the driver's side. I got the new MGW installed, and it's awesome!

Another question, however... I noticed when I took the car out for a test drive that it is REALLY REALLY noisier than the factory one. 1st gear through 4th gear aren't bad (although, they're definitely noisier than originally) ... but 5th gear is incredible. As soon as I hit 5th, there is a sound similar to a buzzing noise from a vibration or something. Everything about shifting sounds louder to me... like if I'm in 2nd gear, let off the gas, then kind of stomp back on it... I can hear stuff engaging in the transmission which I never could with the factory shifter in. I tried playing with the shifter while driving, but it was solid. And, the car never missed or jumped a gear (so I think I did the installation right).

Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to explain myself.... my question is: are all after-market shifters loud like this? Should I be concerned about it (as in something might be wrong with the transmission)? Should I just put some dynomat down to try and cut down some noise?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: MGW shifter installation help