4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

Angry Possible Big Problem

Alright so about 4 days ago i changed my oil, put in engine restore, and fuel injector cleaner. well yesterday(oct 24) i start my car and notice some whiteish smoke come out on start up, and i walk to the back to smell it and its got a slightly sweet odor(bad sign). checked the coolant no oil in it as of yet didnt drive it afte i noticed the smoke and smell. well today (oct 25) i start her back up and no smoke or sweet smell. Is this a sign of a head gasket going or am i worrying too much. also the past couple days my check engine light will come on for a few days and then turn off. i read the code and it was P0420 (i have looked into that error code). so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Engine restore is a joke! The only product i recommend you using would be products from Lucas Oil. http://www.lucasoilstore.com/store/ The rest of that Sh*t is nothing but snake oil.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

that was actually not my question not worried about if you like a product or not at this time.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

you can do a google search for the code, not hard to find

http://www.obd-codes.com/P0420
Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 AM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

as stated above have already looked into the code thats not the issue. sorry dont mean to sound rude
Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

First off, Engine restore should not be used unless your burning oil or have low compression/. It's a "temporary" fix to existing problems. It will not prevent those from occuring. Actually it will increase problems for the future. It has been proven that additives like that and Slick 50 gum up in the smaller channels and oil pump and restrict flow. I would highly reccomend not using that stuff in any newer or high revving car!
Now, for the question you had asked. I doubt that adding that stuff had anything to do with your problem. Adding the fuel injector cleaner could have contributed to the smoke out your pipe and possibly your engine code. Fuel injector cleaner is meant to absorn and burn any moisture that you might have inside your tank/lines and engine as well as clean and lubricate the injectors. How cold is it there? Maybe condensation from a cold morning start since it's getting colder outside. Also most people notice things that they haven't before because they pay more attention and have worry attacks over stuff that is completely normal! I think the sweet smell is the fuel injector additive you put in. What's the brand name stuff you used? Oil can have a sweet smell as well, so if there was carbon/oil build up inside your valve chambers you could be smelling that as well.
My advice: Your car is fine but still keep an eye on the oil and underside of the oil cap for white residue and/or excessive moisture and radiator coolant tank for browning. Stay away from the oil additives and use only quality fuel injector cleaners like Lucas. Many others have too much alcohol and will dry your seals out. Lucas has lubricants in there and works great. Only add maybe once every 10kmi. too much exposure of any cleaner will do more harm than good.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

well the sweet smell was the smell of anti-freeze or so it seemed. can those things really produce that smell.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Stop obessing and take the car out and drive it, starting it and not driving it is about the worse thing you can do for an engine as it will not get up to operating temperature and oll sorts of crap will collect in the oil and exhaust system.

Take it out and once it's hot and wind it out through the lower gears up to 5500 rpm a few times, then take it out on the highway for a 50 to 60 mile run at 70 and let it burn its insides clean.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

was it cold out at the time? probably just condensation
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
hawks05
4th Gear Member

it was cool not cold. also that check engine light was coming on before i did my oil change and stuff.

Quick Reply: Possible Big Problem