4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:31 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default few questions

Starting to get my paychecks from work, so that means I'm gonna start modding my car..

I have a few questions though, cuz I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to cars

Anyway, here goes:

Stage 2 cams; what type of performance increases will I see? Are they worth the money for performance?

The "shaker" hood ram air kit (the mach 1 thing for GTs or 6s); do you have to cut a hole in your hood for that?
Also, with that upper intake, can I still get a plenum/tb? (as far as I knew plenum/tb went up there??)

If I get that shaker hood ram air kit, I can't get a supercharger.. a KB at least, but I can get a vortech or something if I get the spacer kit. Would it be worth it to get that hood scoop rather than a KB? I know performance-wise, no, but the real scoop looks f'in cool...

Finally, my list of mods in order I plan on getting them is as follows (but is that a good order?):

new shifter
full exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback)
shaker hood ram air

beyond that, cams and plenum/tb.. beyond that a s/c possibly. if not a s/c i'll get underdrive pulleys, but what other mods can I look at?

(I already have 3.73 gears, a k+n air filter, and a diablo predator.. just to fix the gears at the moment, after some mods I'll use the tune, though)

thanks!!

Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: few questions

sounds good. the hood won't add much to your power but it looks hella cool. I'm sure you can still do all your other intake mods with it on.

You seem to have a good understanding of how things work.....seeing as you already have the gears. I would go in this order.

Full exhaust

Intake

UD pullies

Do the cams last.

Oh yeah.....go ahead and put that predator tune in there now. You will notice it.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:39 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

no you won't have to cut a hole in your hood......you'll have to buy a new one. if you want it to look right that is.........more than just the scoop would stick out of your stock hood.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:39 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

no you won't have to cut a hole in your hood......you'll have to buy a new one. if you want it to look right that is.........more than just the scoop would stick out of your stock hood.
do they make special hoods for the shaker scoop thing? and if so, where can I get 'em (if you know?)

mike: I'd use the predator tune.. but it's 30 cents more per gallon for 93 octane here[:@]

More I spend on gas.. well, less money I have to mod my car; my overall financial plan is to

a) mod my car
b) (slowly, over two-three years) pay off my $4,800 debt on the car
c) put away about $1,000 or so to buy a cheap car or truck as a beater-mobile.. maybe less money; i just need something to get me around and something to drive in the snow.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:49 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

just get a new mach 1 hood from a dealership. that's your best bet........i say that because i prefer to have all ford parts if i can get them. i think you could find an aftermarket hood somewhere.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:01 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

ahh cool

Yeah, it's nice to have the ford stuff; better quality etc..

gonna be a pain to paint it but o well, it's worth it.

the mach 1 scoop is majorly hot, like milla jovovich or monica bellucci hot