4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!! running rich, bogging etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
envy.09

Angry HELP!! running rich, bogging etc

having some problems with tha gt...

this thing runs rich! sitting at stop signs, red lights etc....a nightmare. I know its tha nature of the beast with an o/r h...but my car is horrible compared to all my buddies with similar setups. I can't even turn the heater or ac on without tha windows rolled down for the first few minutes because the smell seeps into the cabin and makes me nauseated...

It also bogs real bad, hesitation, its even backfired out tha throttle a few times. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, which really didn't help much. cleaning the MAF got it running better, but that only lasted a few minutes.

I also went to the Ford house the get tha comp. reflashed. I read somewhere on the forums that that helped a few people. turns out it couldn't be reflashed because it already had the latest calibration from ford.

could it be a vacuum leak? my idle never really surges...but sometimes it will stay at ~1700-2000 rpm's before it will gradually drop back down to idle when I pull up to a stop..

any ideas? I need this solved asap...gotta do some traveling for Thanksgiving and i'd love for this problems to be gone! thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

what mods do you have done? Do you use an aftermarket tuner or chip? Did this start to happen immediately after you installed the O/R H pipe?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 PM
envy.09

Mods are in my sig. And to be honest...i'm not sure. it was like that when I got the car. and I don't think it has been tuned since the tech at Ford said the pcm had the latest calibration software on it.

maybe its my 02's? my guess is something is reading wrong and the comp. is running rich to be on the safe side?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Is your check engine on because of the O/R H pipe? If not, are you sure the bulb for the check engine light is good?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Id take it to the ford garage and tell them to put it on the scanner. i mean the scanner ought to be able to tell you whats wrong. or if you have a tuner, just plug that in and that should tell you what codes the computer is throwing and then go from there.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

You do need to see if it has a custom tune via a hand held or chip. I would say it would really help with a tune with the long tubes and o/r mid pipe.

As stated, if no mil on the dash, see if the bulb is there/good.

How many miles does it have on it?? Old O2s and long tubes will make it run fat!

Casey
Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM
envy.09

anyone?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
envy.09

oops....hadn't refreshed in a while and didn't see those reply's.

speedo reads 65000 but I know its a bit less then that because of the gears. And the Service engine light isn't there. the only code it ran on the diablo was IAT sensor. Also one of the 02's would read outstanding numbers for a few secs then go back to normal for a minute or two.

We put the diablo tune on there aswell for a few days but no difference was made. now my best guess would be the 02 AND mass air sensor (intake air temp is spliced into tha MAF sensor on my car).
Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Failing O2 sensors will produce a reduced output voltage range, the lower voltage is interpreted by the PCM as the engine running lean and it will compensate by making the mix richer. Often there will not be a DTC thrown until the sensor stops switching.

If your 65k miles was around town, with typical trips of less than 20 miles, the front sensors could very possibly be behaving in this manner.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

If your 65k miles was around town, with typical trips of less than 20 miles, the front sensors could very possibly be behaving in this manner.
Because the car didn't have a chance to "open up" and the sensors got clogged/fouled?

Quick Reply: HELP!! running rich, bogging etc