4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust problem

I am in dire need of help. I am am swapping my transmission over to a 5 speed(thats not the problem) and I was wondering how many bolts hold the starter on. I removed the passenger side 02 sensor because I could not get the starter off. I am having a problem getting the h pipe off of my car. Where the H pipe meets the catback i was able to break loose 3/4 of the bolts, so I cut the other one off.

Where I am running into my problem is at the factory manifolds. I doused them with wd40 and went back an hour later and i cannot get the nuts to come loose. How should I go about dealing with this? As of right now my budget is nearly maxed out and I doubt I can afford an off-road h or x pipe. I could swing about $250 on exhaust work.

My car is wanting to fight me every step of the way now. Spent close to 4 hours trying to get it to come apart and I havent made any progress yet, and I have to have my car done by saturday.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

I was looking at the bbk x-pipe from jegs for $200. What is the difference between an h pipe and x pipe besides one being an x and the other an h.

Will this bolt up to my factory manifolds? Does anyone have any other suggestions or should i do a full exhaust?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:12 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

dont know how many bolts on the starter... Haynes FTW.
An X pipe tends to flow better than an H pipe, you already have an H pipe.
Either one will bolt right up to your manifold... however... notice the PITA this is? Better to get some headers while your down there if you can swing em'!
you need a breaker bar to get the manifold bolts out, if you dont have access to a breaker bar slip the closed end of an open end wrench over your socket wrench to make it longer.

check the for sale area on this site, eBay, craigs list, etc. you may be able to find some headers and an x cheap...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J_Rod
I am in dire need of help. I am am swapping my transmission over to a 5 speed(thats not the problem) and I was wondering how many bolts hold the starter on. I removed the passenger side 02 sensor because I could not get the starter off. I am having a problem getting the h pipe off of my car. Where the H pipe meets the catback i was able to break loose 3/4 of the bolts, so I cut the other one off.

Where I am running into my problem is at the factory manifolds. I doused them with wd40 and went back an hour later and i cannot get the nuts to come loose. How should I go about dealing with this? As of right now my budget is nearly maxed out and I doubt I can afford an off-road h or x pipe. I could swing about $250 on exhaust work.

My car is wanting to fight me every step of the way now. Spent close to 4 hours trying to get it to come apart and I havent made any progress yet, and I have to have my car done by saturday.
Starter has 3 bolts. You dont have to take the starter off to get the H pipe off I did it on my stang without takint it off. The third bolt is on the top of the starter just look around you will find it. WD40 the manifold bolts again and let them soak for 10 minutes. Take a long extension and ratchet (breaker bar if needed and crack them loose). They are gona be very tight from factory. Look into classified section for an offroad pipe instead of blowing your money on a new one. I will send you my O/R H pipe dude just pay for shipping. pipe leaked a bit at the manifold but you can fix this problem by heating the pipe where it was rewelded and correct the leak(its a MAC O/R) I know moneys rough man. Hit me UP. Wish you were here Id swap it out for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SmallFeesh
dont know how many bolts on the starter... Haynes FTW.
An X pipe tends to flow better than an H pipe, you already have an H pipe.
Either one will bolt right up to your manifold... however... notice the PITA this is? Better to get some headers while your down there if you can swing em'!
you need a breaker bar to get the manifold bolts out, if you dont have access to a breaker bar slip the closed end of an open end wrench over your socket wrench to make it longer.

check the for sale area on this site, eBay, craigs list, etc. you may be able to find some headers and an x cheap...
+1 There's also a VERY noticable sound difference between the X and H pipes. H pipes tend to sound deeper and throatier while the X pipes are usally higher pitched and raspier.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

well I got lucky and was able to get the driver side bolts off at the manifold (took an 1 hour), I figured out the the nuts were 11/16. On the passenger side its a different story. I cannot get my socket to go on the nut, everything is at a funny angle. What did you guys use to get these bolts off, its driving me out of my mind.

When I drop out the auto, do I need to unbolt the starter first? And how much are cats bringing at the scrap yards?
Side ? Is there any physical difference to tell a TR-3650 from a T-45?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Your gonna need a swivel and extension to get at those passenger side bolts. HAVE FUN! lol
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 PM
zinc02gt281
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J_Rod
well I got lucky and was able to get the driver side bolts off at the manifold (took an 1 hour), I figured out the the nuts were 11/16. On the passenger side its a different story. I cannot get my socket to go on the nut, everything is at a funny angle. What did you guys use to get these bolts off, its driving me out of my mind.

When I drop out the auto, do I need to unbolt the starter first? And how much are cats bringing at the scrap yards?
Side ? Is there any physical difference to tell a TR-3650 from a T-45?
There's your problem....

Use a 15mm socket and you'll find it EXTREMELY easy... Use a swivel and a few odd angles and you can get it. I can get my midpipe off in about 15 minutes...

Starter is the last thing before dropping the transmission.

Midpipe, driveshaft, clutch cable, shifter, starter, then transmission...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

well i got my mid pipe off finally, now the torque converter bolts are fighting me, i went ahead an pulled the starter off and the driveshaft.

Cant get an impact up in there and my wrench keeps slipping on me. I think ford did a terrible job in designing this car or its just me cuz i am used to working on vintage cars.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

well I broke down and spent some money and purchased an BBK O/R X-pipe, and am going to hold onto the stock h-pipe until cat prices go up.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Exhaust problem