4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dealing with pats

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

Default Dealing with pats

My car wont start, the theft light is flashing and as far as I can tell pats is to blame. How can I get rid of the theft light?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Are the keys new?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

No well not really, kind of. I broke my key, it was my only key. I have a key that doesnt have a chip, and I am trying to start the car using that key, but holding the old key with the chip right next to the key without a chip. They theft light flashes about once a second. Is there any way of telling my car I am not stealing it, any way of just disabling the pats?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Buy sniper tuning or tow the car to the dealer and get the key programmed, either way you will pay around $400 for the fix but with sniper you will get to tune your car.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:14 AM
karrarararararar
1st Gear Member

+1 that's what i did
Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

I have an sct xcal3 could I get someone to rig a tune up for me to do that? I am actually wanting to get the sniper tuner, anyone want to trade?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Have you tried the old key in other positions? The PATS antenna is circular and surrounds the lock mechanism, holding the old key next to the new may be shielding the RFID signal.

As other's have said, some have reported that taping a key inside the steering column surround has tricked the system.

You will need to permanently mount it (the old key) in whatever position you find works, as it is also needed to run the car not just start it...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 AM
DickH
1st Gear Member

I now have the rfid chip outside of the broken key and am holding it close to the ignition. How long is the range on it? Either way, the theft light blinks once a second or something close to that and I don't think it will start while that is going off.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Call SCT, tell them your car battery died while trying to update your tune, and tell them your PATS is not letting you start the car.. They should be able to send you a tune to bypass the PATS system, and it can get you on your way until you fix the problem. My friends 99 had the issue I just described and he can now start and drive his car again...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DickH
I now have the rfid chip outside of the broken key and am holding it close to the ignition. How long is the range on it? Either way, the theft light blinks once a second or something close to that and I don't think it will start while that is going off.
Did you try to start it? Flashing every 2 seconds or so is normal when the ignition is off.

Flashing rapidly (2 or 3 times a second) or constant on indicates a problem...

Quick Reply: Dealing with pats