4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tick..tick..tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM
aimhigh10

Default Tick..tick..tick

I know, another tick..tick thread. I did a search on the "Ticking" problems but couldn't pinpoint what the problem may be. It sounds like if you take an ink pen and tap it on a table like your playing drums.

My 97 cobra is ticking on the Drivers side. You can hear it mostly under the car but also with the hood up. It does't get louder with acceleration but does get faster. I took it to an exhaust place and couldn't find any leaks. Does a header leak have a ticking sound? The guys used a stethascope and could hear it mostly from the cylinder 7 pipe on the long tubes. Could there be a leak there or something in the bottom part of the engine thats making the ticking.

Its not the spark plugs or wires arking off anything because I just replaced them all due to a cylinder 8 misfire code.

It sound to me like a fuel injector making the tick. I can hear it under the car and slightly out of the rear exhaust. I used a long screwdriver and put it up to the drivers side injectors and can hear the same tick when I put it up to my ear. Put the screwdriver up to the valve cover and heard nothing but smoothness.

Has anyone experienced the same problem or know what it may be. I can't stand the ticking noise. Like I said, I used the search tool regarding this but need some up to date advice. Thanks everyone
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

headers do tick when they are leaking. just because you replaced the plugs doesnt mean it wouldnt cause a tick. If they werent torqued properly one of them may be ticking.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

sounds like a sticking exhaust valve if its not a leak on cylinder 7.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 PM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Default Tick...Tick...Tick

I also, was thinking exhaust valve.
Valve or valve seat?

Eric
Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

You can rule out the the injectors by unplugging them one at a time. If the tick stops when you pull the power from 7, then you know that's what it is.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Before I did the PI swap I had the same problem, and it was a spark plug.

Go see how tight all of your spark plugs are, mine had backed one out and was making the same exact sound, also if I drove the car very long at all the shift boot would heat up, from the leaking gases.

This can destroy your heads pretty fast. But just for me, go check to see if any of your spark plugs are finger tight.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM
aimhigh10

So as far as the injectors, I'm suppose to unhook the power one injector at a time while the car is on to see if the tick stops. Will that harm the car in any way? Throw a code?

As far as the exhaust valve ticking, where is that located on the engine. I'm guessing its where the headers come out. How can I test to see if it is indeed the exhaust valve. Like I said, I can't hear any tick from the valve cover while doing the screwdriver trick.

Its not the spark plugs, I tightened them plenty enough. Besides, it started ticking as soon as I started the car after the plug change. They all were very tight.

Where do I go from here???
Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

That's the problem. You need to torque them to spec using a torque wrench. Overtightening can cause problems
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aimhigh10
So as far as the injectors, I'm suppose to unhook the power one injector at a time while the car is on to see if the tick stops. Will that harm the car in any way? Throw a code?
Nope, it will not harm it in any way and any code that is thrown will go away once it is plugged back in.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aimhigh10
Its not the spark plugs, I tightened them plenty enough. Besides, it started ticking as soon as I started the car after the plug change. They all were very tight.

Where do I go from here???
If it started right after you changed the plugs I would guess they have something to do with it. One of the plugs might not be seated correctly. I would pull the plugs back out, inspect them, make sure they have the metal gasket, make sure there isn't anything down in the holes that would cause it to not seat all the way. Do this when the motor is cold especially since it sounds like you overtightened them if they are "very tight".