4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP!!!

Ever since I got my high flow X-pipe installed with my long tubes I've had a "check engine" light so I figured I'd get it dyno tuned and see if that takes it away. It hasn't worked and I keep getting an 02 sensor code on my programmer even though I bought and installed the MIL eliminators. What do you guys think could be the problem? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Mine did the same thing, try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and see if that works. Or if you have a handheld tuner you can just turn them off and clear the code.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NinetySix GT
Mine did the same thing, try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and see if that works. Or if you have a handheld tuner you can just turn them off and clear the code.
Every time I turn them off they come back. Is there a permanent way to do so with the tuner? I very new to using tuners so if there is then I'm all ears.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

There is a feature in most every handheld tuner to disable the rear O2 sensors.

Are you sure that you didn't cross the wires when you hooked up the eliminators? They should have taken care of the problem...tell me you bought BBK Eliminators? I had them and my light would trip constantly.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
There is a feature in most every handheld tuner to disable the rear O2 sensors.

Are you sure that you didn't cross the wires when you hooked up the eliminators? They should have taken care of the problem...tell me you bought BBK Eliminators? I had them and my light would trip constantly.
What do you mean cross the wires? While the guy I had installing my headers did the job he put them in for me and I don't remember seeing him cross any wires. I could be wrong but I deleted the code with the tuner and unless there's another option other then the "clear codes" option then I hope I did the job. Is there another way? What way do you properly install those MIL eliminators? Just put it in between both the 02' sensors right? If I disable the rear 02 sensors then won't my fuel economy suffer?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

the mil eliminators act like resistors to trick the computer into thinking that the o2 is reading the proper parameters. if the o2 sensor is bad it will still trip the mil even though u have the mil eliminators installed.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

It sounds like you're just temporarily clearing the trouble code instead of setting up your tune to prevent the code.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:50 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

what hand held tuner do you have?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang_pa
what hand held tuner do you have?
The Diablo Sport Predator tuner.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

ok, well plug in the tuner and follow the instructions on the screen. Go to performance tune. Then to modify tune. Scoll down to obdII. The following was taken straight form the manual. Then to Set OBD-II setting for no rear 02’s -Turn all of the following parameters to “OFF” position: OBD-II MIL / OBD-II Test Heater bank 1 downstream / Heater bank 2 downstream O2 Sensor Config.
O2 Config = Turn this off for no rear O2 sensors, this tells PCM that no rear O2 sensors exist, the heater 1 and 2 have to be turned off as well.
NOTE: OBD-II adjustments are to be done on off-road vehicles only! Not for street use, off-road vehicles only.