4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whining gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
TeamHostile

@ least he came through w/an opinion. Don't really pertain to this guys problem but what can ya do. Also when you drop the diff cover, slide your hand along the bottom like your sifting for gold. If there's shavings, its gonna blow soon or later & that's a bad feeling. Keep us posted
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TeamHostile
@ least he came through w/an opinion. Don't really pertain to this guys problem but what can ya do. Also when you drop the diff cover, slide your hand along the bottom like your sifting for gold. If there's shavings, its gonna blow soon or later & that's a bad feeling. Keep us posted
I see what your saying, but his information was wrong and misleading to other people on here that don't know any better. What he posted was more than likely something that the guy that installed his gears (if he has them) told him in order to cover his a$$ just incase they did whine.

Still waiting on an explanation from ackuric......
Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TeamHostile
I'm w/Black35th bro,you don't put a drag rear in a street car & most drag friends of mine can slap a gearswap & be back on the track in no time. May not be perfect but it'll hold a run or two. Any street gear when set "correctly" will hummm like a charm but not whine. Back to the question: 1st off always use friction modifier! 2nd, when was the last time you dropped your shaft? If you didn't mark it & jacked the bolt pattern up there's a problem that could have a minimal effect on your input shaft so be careful not to damage any worse. This could damage more. Here 2 options. 1/Easiest way out, have it drained look @ the gears check for fractures & a decent pattern. If all looks good, look inside & spin 1 wheel, look closely @ the spider gears. If they're chipped hit me back asap. Your in some crap. If you see nothing make it thick as all hell & pray for the best. Option 2: anytime you reset the gears it changes the tooth pattern weakening the gear. You need FRPP 4.10's w/bearing kit & Royal Purple. If needed get a matching diff for about 40 bucks for back up.

The driveshaft has never been disconnected from the car so I don't think that could be a problem. Any chance I messed something up when I installed upper and lower control arms? I only had one disconnected at a time so I don't see how I could have messed anything up but that bad vibration never happened before I put them in. I did all my suspension at that time also so who knows what caused it. That's why originally I said I wasn't sure that it was from the gears.

I'm going to change the fluid on Sunday and I'm going to use two bottles of RP 75w90 and a bottle a friciton modifier. Is that what you would suggest? I used the two bottles last time but no friction modifier. I'll check for shavings and take some hi-res pictures of the gears and maybe post them up if I'm unsure of potential damage.

Is you gear guy at the Planet Ford in Houston by chance? My parents live in Houston so that is an option if I need to have someone good look at it. The mustang performance shop I had in mind here just recently closed its doors due to hard times.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i dont think anyone said it, but if youve done anything suspension wise, check your pinion angle
Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
i dont think anyone said it, but if youve done anything suspension wise, check your pinion angle
That is a really good point. I never even considered that. I changed all the control arms and left the stock springs in there. I was going to cut at least the dead coil out but I never did. Could it be off enough to cause the vibration? Would shortening the springs a little set it back into a good position? Lots of people do fixed upper control arms and dont have this problem so I can't see how I would have to put the stock ones in to make it right. Cutting my springs a little is no big deal but I'm not going to bother if that wont have an effect on the pinion angle.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
The driveshaft has never been disconnected from the car so I don't think that could be a problem. Any chance I messed something up when I installed upper and lower control arms? I only had one disconnected at a time so I don't see how I could have messed anything up but that bad vibration never happened before I put them in. I did all my suspension at that time also so who knows what caused it. That's why originally I said I wasn't sure that it was from the gears.

I'm going to change the fluid on Sunday and I'm going to use two bottles of RP 75w90 and a bottle a friciton modifier. Is that what you would suggest? I used the two bottles last time but no friction modifier. I'll check for shavings and take some hi-res pictures of the gears and maybe post them up if I'm unsure of potential damage.

Is you gear guy at the Planet Ford in Houston by chance? My parents live in Houston so that is an option if I need to have someone good look at it. The mustang performance shop I had in mind here just recently closed its doors due to hard times.
Yes it has unless there is some magical way of getting the pinion gear out with out dropping the driveshaft that I haven't heard of yet.

PM sent
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Yes it has unless there is some magical way of getting the pinion gear out with out dropping the driveshaft that I haven't heard of yet.

PM sent
ah I guess I didn't think that one through lol. Ok but the whining got worse over time and it instantly started vibrating at high speeds once I changed all the suspension components, which was 6 months after I had the gears installed. So I really don't think the vibrating is the fault of the gear install. The whining probably is though.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

what kind of control arms? we had a problem with upr's on whitefox's 98cobra, the uppers were too short, ****ed his pinion angle up, and he had very similar symptoms.... id compare the length of ur new control arms with your stockers
Old 03-21-2009, 01:26 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

they are stang suspension uppers and lowers. From glancing at it the angle does look positive (pinion flange is pointing slightly up to meet driveshaft) which wouldn't be very good I dont think. That said, mustangman says my pinion angle shouldnt be messed up enough to cause problems with the setup I have
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
TeamHostile

Wow, you definetly on your way to finding the problem. If you want, pm me & I'll get you set up w/one of my performance shops in the area. Here is your best option bro, it may sound throwed but do it. Go find the smallest friend you got, mustang seats fold down for a reason. Offer his a beer to figure out where the sound is coming from. W/any luck you can put it on the lift & go straight to your problem. I may get some negative feedback on this one but that's how we do in the country on a budget lmao.

Quick Reply: whining gears