4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Front Tires "cupping"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
penroe71

Default Front Tires "cupping"

I have a 2000 GT, with about 109k miles on it. Back in August of 08 I installed Ford "c" springs and a set of shocks and struts from americanmuscle.com I decided on the Tokico shocks and struts (included link). I had a alignment done in Sept of 08. I noticed the other day the inside of the tires were cupping, the driver side is worse. I took it back to the place I got a alignment with the original readings from Sept. He said it was the struts that were causing the cupping. He suggested the KYB struts. My question is has anyone had this problem before with tires, or Tokico struts? Any info would be great. Would you go with KYB?

Thanks for all the info.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...rut-94-04.html
Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by penroe71
I have a 2000 GT, with about 109k miles on it. Back in August of 08 I installed Ford "c" springs and a set of shocks and struts from americanmuscle.com I decided on the Tokico shocks and struts (included link). I had a alignment done in Sept of 08. I noticed the other day the inside of the tires were cupping, the driver side is worse. I took it back to the place I got a alignment with the original readings from Sept. He said it was the struts that were causing the cupping. He suggested the KYB struts. My question is has anyone had this problem before with tires, or Tokico struts? Any info would be great. Would you go with KYB?

Thanks for all the info.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...rut-94-04.html
What are the camber settings? What you describe is a common wear pattern for too much negative camber (-1.1° or more). The spec is -0.75° +/-0.25°, however when you get near the top of that spec you'll see the cupping in the inside.

I run -1.2° because I like the improved handling, this does make the tires wear as described and after 20k miles or so they get noisy--I live with it and replace the tires at 30k or so...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM
penroe71

Thanks for responding Cliffyk. The setting after he checked it and adjusted it was:
(this was in september)

Left front actual camber -1.0
Right front actual camber -1.0

After I took it back in march:

Left front actual camber -1.1
Right front actual camber -1.2

So I am near what you like for settings. It does handle good. Well I wont worry about the struts since they are pretty new. I will go to another shop and see what they for grins. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by penroe71
Thanks for responding Cliffyk. The setting after he checked it and adjusted it was:
(this was in september)

Left front actual camber -1.0
Right front actual camber -1.0

After I took it back in march:

Left front actual camber -1.1
Right front actual camber -1.2

So I am near what you like for settings. It does handle good. Well I wont worry about the struts since they are pretty new. I will go to another shop and see what they for grins. Thanks again.
Getting to or much above -1.0° camber will cause the tires to cup on the inside, that's the price to be paid for the improved "edge of stability" handling.

It makes them noisy and does of course decrease "tread life"--as they say, if tread life is a major concern buy a Corolla...