4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing Traction Control for good!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM
NKGT
1st Gear Member

Default Removing Traction Control for good!

I was having problems with my traction control switch the other day and took it apart. After a little studying of the circuits I managed to permanently set the traction control on OFF. A few guys wanted me to post a how-to so here you go.

Some things you might need to know: This mod was done to a 2000 GT, my knowledge of electronics is very very limited and I have no idea if this switch is universal to all mustangs so this may or may not work on your car.

So what I noticed when I took the switch apart was a little circuit board with a few contacts and 2 lights. I checked for voltage between each connector to see if it was defective. I found that there was no voltage between 2 connectors (let's call them "A" and "B") unless the switch was pushed down. So I assumed that pushing down the switch would allow voltage to pass from "A" to "B" thus turning off the traction control.

I soldered "A" and "B" together, took the car for a spin and voila, no traction control. I've been driving all weekend without a problem and of course no traction control.

All you need to do this is some very low tech soldering equipment and a slightly steady hand.

-Remove the shift ****
-Take apart the centre console (dont break the fragile clips!)
-Disconnect the traction control switch
-Take the switch out of its housing
-Find a short piece of soft metal
-Solder contact "A" with contact "B" (see picture)
-Put everything back together

This should keep your traction control off. The "OFF" light doesn't turn on but I think my light might be burned out (causing my problem originally).

Hopefully this will work for everyone because it works great for me, happy burnouts!

Last edited by NKGT; 04-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Thanks, although I actually like my traction control on sometimes. Not that I drive the car in the rain much but it saved me once. It is annoying when I forget it is on though and I go to show off and the car falls flat on its face...

Traction control FTT (For the Tie)
Old 04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
whitealexander
1st Gear Member

nice tips thanks..
Old 04-05-2009, 03:59 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

easier to just turn it off with a tuner
Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Nice mod

Thanks for info, as some pepes will want to do this to avoid messing with tuner.

Jazzer
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 PM
iMTB
2nd Gear Member

Mine doesn't have TC
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
NKGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
easier to just turn it off with a tuner
Agreed! But much less expensive this way.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The newer models (2001-1/2 and up I believe) use a different switch and switch logic.

On these models the t/c switch is a simple momentary contact push-button that when pressed sends a +12V signal to the instrument cluster, which then communicates with the ABS controller via the SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) bus. The ABS controller then "toggles" the t/c on or off depending one the existing state.

There's nothing that can be done electrically (via jumping pins. etc.) at the switch that will permanently disable (or enable) the t/c.

FWIW, it is logic and circuitry in the instrument cluster that controls the t/c on/off LED--I am aware of at least on fellow who blew this out by mucking about with wiring at the t/c switch in an attempt to permanently disable the t/c.

Here's a partial schematic for the 2001+ t/c switch...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

+1 not for mid 01+ models
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

This is actually nice, for those who want it off forever. But has anybody ever tried to replace the switch with a toggle/flip switch? That way it remembers what position it was in the last time you drove it? Thats what I would very much rather have. Would a tuner be able to do that? Or a switch replacement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Traction Control for good!