4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rattle on bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default rattle on bumps?

Whenever I hit bumps, I get this rattle from the right wheel area. The rattle only happens on bumps and it sounds like I left a tool in my engine bay or something. Really annoying..

Then I also get this grinding noise when I'm slowing down to a stop that gets worse with brake pressure but is still there when I'm slowly rolling to a stop without braking. It seems to grind with the frequency that the wheels are spinning.

I also get kind of a hum or whir when I turn my steering wheel without moving the car. Power steering problem?

I've been under the car to look at the ball joints and tie rods. They aren't falling apart or anything but the ball joint does have some little cracks in the boot. (I think it's the boot) I don't really know what I'm looking for as far as faulty ball joints or tie rods go. I've scoured over the entire front end, trying to find something loose or that doesn't look right and I really can't. Please give me some advice of what to look for.

JD
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Most definitely a ball joint or a Tie rod end. If you get a whine then it's your PS pump.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Most definitely a ball joint or a Tie rod end. If you get a whine then it's your PS pump.
That is what I figured but would that cause the "grinding" noise just when slowing rolling?

And for the PS, does that mean I need to change fluid, flush the system, replace the pump or what?

Thanks sxy..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
That is what I figured but would that cause the "grinding" noise just when slowing rolling?

And for the PS, does that mean I need to change fluid, flush the system, replace the pump or what?

Thanks sxy..

I imagine it could although I've never had this issue with the mustang,.

I'd first check to see if there's moisture (water) in the reservoir. Not much you can really do more than that except wait for it to get to bad to bare and then change it out.

Also I don't know if you know or not so i'll just say it anyway. Never turn the wheel until it stops turning, stop just prior to the resistance. It puts undo pressure on the pumps and wears out them prematurely.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I know not to turn the steering wheel all the way but thanks for the tip. A lot of people don't know that.

Could I just start pulling the fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it with new fluid like once a week for a month until the overall quality of the fluid is better? I dont' really want to mess with completely draining it and getting air out. PITA...

I already ordered HR super sports and x2 ball joints, steeda tie rods, new end links, swaybar bushings and rack bushings because A) I'm lowering a lot and B) I just assumed that it was a tie rod end or ball joint.

The reason I made a thread was because just last night it started doing the grinding at a roll in addition to the rattling. Hopefully they are related and the new components take care of it. Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Could I just start pulling the fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it with new fluid like once a week for a month until the overall quality of the fluid is better? I dont' really want to mess with completely draining it and getting air out. PITA...
Nevermind, I guess that won't really do anything. I just need to make sure there aren't any leaks and check the fluid level. I get this high pitched chirp every once in a while and sometimes a quieter chirping that matches my acceleration. I bet it's due to the pump/pulley configuration on the belt assembly. I guess I just need to watch it and replace it if I need to.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Ok so the grinding that just started last night went away. After I realized one of the lugs on the front right wheel was loose and jacked it up and retorqued the wheel down, set her down and tightened more it's no longer making that noise. The rattling is still there though.

I get this high pitched chirp every once in a while and sometimes a quieter chirping that matches my acceleration. I bet it's due to the pump/pulley configuration on the belt assembly. I guess I just need to watch it and replace it if I need to.

This was happening really bad about an hour ago and it definitely responds to the engine rpms and not the clutch or anything else. The higher the rpms, the faster the chirping. My question now is, what part of the belt assembly corresponds to the PS pump? Is the pump actually attached to the pulley? I thought the actual pump was up around the brake fluid reservoir.. What is the name of the part I'm looking at replacing if it is the pulley/accessory associated with the PS pump?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

the bumping noise could be a broken strut, ball joints and tie rod ends most of the time make a squeking sound, for the chirping i would try a belt and maybe a tensioner if it isnt holding tension like it should. Get some brake cleaner, water in a spray bottle, and spray it on the belt if the sound goes away put a belt on it give that a try

Last edited by mustangman03; 04-13-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I am buying a compressor and an impact wrench. I've decided. I just stopped by a repair shop on my way home from work to see if they would do a quick diag. of the clunking noise. The owner drove it around the block pulled it in. Looked at the cc plate and hit the nut on the top of the strut with an impact wrench and problem solved. It had worked its way loose a little and gave the spacer in there room to move around and make noise. **** me that was the only thing I didn't look at and the only thing no one here thought of lol. Wahoo now I just have to figure out the stupid chirping noise which has gotten worse and sounds like it is coming from the area near the firewall where the EGR tube turns down towards the ground. It doesn't sound like it's from the belt area at all. WTF
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't have ever guessed that. Well that's good.