4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra brake install??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default Cobra brake install??

I'm trying to get my Cobra brakes on now, how in the heck do you break those two bolts loose that hold the caliper frame to the front spindle???

I have been trying for the past three hours to get those two damn bolts off and I can't make them budge and I'm starting to round them off a little. It is really pissing me off.

Do you gotta get heat on to them or what? are the on there with red lock tight from the factory???

I hate like hell to have to put this back together and have a garage do the same thing at $25 a side to do it because I can't get two lousy bolts off.
Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-05-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Anybody?
I just spent another 45 minutes trying to get these stupid bolts off, please don't tell me they are reversed threads or something..
I know some of you guys have done this, how in the hell did you got those bolts out?

Lynn
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

$25 a side to install brakes? thats ****ing cheap...

Anyway have you tried silicon oil or anything?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

So far I've tried WD40, and Liquid wrench
Yes, $25 a front side, and $25 a back side. The place I go to used to do them for $15 a side,but he went up in price a couple years ago.
Lynn
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

Are you talking about the two 15mm bolts? I just did my brake install today. Those bolts were such a bit**. I about had all four of the front ones rounded off by the time I gave up and took it to a local shop this evening. The shop that originally put those brakes on must have torqued it down to 200ft*lb+ cause I couldn't budge them for nothing. I got to the shop just as they closed an slipped a guy a $20 to crack all four of the front ones loose. He had about a 4ft breaker bar and was still struggling with them, but in the end they all came loose. I brought my own wrenches to re-tighten them myself so i knew i could get it back off once i got home. Believe me I was royally pissed to have to bring my car to a shop to loosen some bolts I couldn't get myself.

BTW, if you had the bolts soaking with some pb-blaster or any type of lube make sure to clean whatever dripped on the rotors off for the ride to the shop...I forgot to do so and I had a nice slippy ride there.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

That is really cheap man, I would say cough up the 50 bones or cough up a lot more for your own impact wrench/compressor. OR you could try a torch... Worked getting the spindle off my 10 year old ball joints lol...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure a front brakejob in my area will be a AT LEAST $200
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM
ATFPat
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I threw a set of Hawk pad on my stang. Took me in no time. Was a clip and a bolt that slid out.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

put the appropriate 1/2 inch impact socket on it. put a ratchet on it and while holding the head of the ratchet give the handle a couple of good hard hits. that should be enough to break it free.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02dkbluegt
Are you talking about the two 15mm bolts? I just did my brake install today. Those bolts were such a bit**. I about had all four of the front ones rounded off by the time I gave up and took it to a local shop this evening.

Good luck
Yep, those are the ones!!
They gotta be torqued on pretty damn good. I know my lugs are torqued to 100# and I can break those easy. I checked what the torque rating is on those bolts and it is only supposed to be 85-95 #. They are on a lot tighter then that.
I may end up putting the caliper back, bleed it, and get it to garage and have them break them loose as well.
Thanks,
Lynn

Quick Reply: Cobra brake install??