4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problems keeping new engine running.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
TT2002GT

Default Problems keeping new engine running.

Hello guys,

Im new here and just introduced myself in the new members section. I have a issue with my new (new to me lol) car. The car had a new block put in with internal but had no oil pressure.. So I took the motor out so I can check it and bought a factory 2003 motor to put in it so I can drive it now. I have basically everything together minus the radiator.... Im getting oil pressure on this one lol... but the problem is, is that the car cranks but then shuts right off after like 3 seconds. If I try to make the motor rev, it just shuts off faster.

Here is what the car has..
2003 gt engine
manual
Twin turbo kit
Garrets
tial wastegates
tial bov's
Diablo Mafia???? < I read on the net about this and tried setting it to 0
Not sure if the ecu has a chip but supposebly its programmed for boost
a1000 fuel pump
aeromotive fuel rails
bigger injectors... not sure of the size yet.
aeromotive fuel regulator

I tried changing the tps and that didn't work.
Made sure all vacuums were closed
Made sure Air flow meter is connected properly
Put the setting on the mafia back to stock
Took out the mafia and tried running it direct (motor stays on but super rich so i guess the mafia compensates for the bigger injectors.)

Are these symptoms of a bad intake manifold or intake manifold gasket. Maybe something left out in the harness.. I have a green plug that I cant find anything to connect to, on the back of the harness behind the motor...

When I got the car it started up and ran and idled. I didn't use the same intake because the heater hose port on the back of the intake mani got busted. So I used the 2003 one back on the same motor.

I will check more tomorrow after work, but maybe you guys can give me some Ideas. Im a few steps away from putting a standalone ecu on the car because I hate factory efi lol.. I just don't want to spend the money right now and I need the car to drive to work.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM
mustangman281
Banned

That green connector goes to the o2 sensor on the passenger side.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 AM
caryabhi125

Can you explain it in brief?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:01 AM
TT2002GT

Car starts but then dies after a few seconds. Checked for air leaks and changed tps but still nothing, someone at my job was mentioning reseting the computer....???
Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by TT2002GT
Car starts but then dies after a few seconds. Checked for air leaks and changed tps but still nothing, someone at my job was mentioning reseting the computer....???
The motors, are they the same? As in Ford 4.6L SOHC? or is one out of a cobra 4.6L DOHC? You could be running into a problem if they are different motors. Also, naturally check all your connections again, sometimes it can be something simple that will cause major headaches.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM
TT2002GT

No its not a dohc. I checked everything I can't seem to figure it out. lol
all the wires are hooked up.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

May not be the problem but here is a idea...

My wifes car(2003 focus) started to do this and i couldnt fig it out for the longest.
What had happened was the cuppling that holds her CAI had ripped on the back side allowing unmetered air to enter the engine. thus causing the engine to shut down.

What size Maf are you running? all the cupplings on the CAI are tight?

anyway, just a thought....
But what you described is exactly what her car was doing.

GL with the issue
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Check your fuel system. I had my A1000 lock up on me right after I put it in the car. It will be loud if it's on its way out. Takes less then a week to get it fixed for free tho.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TT2002GT

thanks for the replies guys.. I got it running. The ecu has a diablosport evolution chip.. I decided to try and remove it and it started up and was running. Im going to sell the mafia and the chip if they are saleable... I want to put a standalone computer on this car running piggy back off of the factory ecu so AC and IAC will stay working... I didn't want to spend the money right away but from the looks of it that is the only way I will get this car to run with this turbo kit... Good thing I do this at work lol. Can't wait to eliminate that dang air flow meter. I hate those things lol.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Default Did you check on this?

Did you check on the Crankshaft Sensor? Is it new or did you install a used one on the new 2003 engine? I would try replacing it with a spare. These sensors are sensitive, if they get banged around too much, they can go bad. After that I would check on your fuel pressure. You need 35 to 40 psi fuel pressure at your fuel rail while the engine is at idle or with the key on engine off. Your best bet would be to install a fuel pressure gauge on your fuel rail, like the one shown below made for Fords. Good luck, Tommy.

Quick Reply: Problems keeping new engine running.