4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant Leak Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Dilley

Default Coolant Leak Help Please

Alright here is the situation i have a 96 mustang gt 5spd with 95xxx miles on it i am leaking coolant form the upper front left cent area of my engine i really do not think that it is a head gasket due to there is no moisture down in that area but when you look at the motor there is coolant sitting it the front left injector socket around the left coolant temperature sensor and you can see where it is either melting or eating the paint of my strut tower brace in the front. so any ideas thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

probably either have a hole in a hose or mabey your water pump took a shlt, gotta find where the leak is!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Dilley

Originally Posted by SmallFeesh
probably either have a hole in a hose or mabey your water pump took a shlt, gotta find where the leak is!
hmmm maybe the hose but def not the water pump i dd my car and it does not over heat so
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

not yet, either way, hose or pump you will overheat once you lose enuff coolant, your pump may be leaking and still not overheat.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Dilley

Originally Posted by SmallFeesh
not yet, either way, hose or pump you will overheat once you lose enuff coolant, your pump may be leaking and still not overheat.
oh you mean my pump just leaking i thought you mean it was shot umm its above the pump though
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dilley
Alright here is the situation i have a 96 mustang gt 5spd with 95xxx miles on it i am leaking coolant form the upper front left cent area of my engine i really do not think that it is a head gasket due to there is no moisture down in that area but when you look at the motor there is coolant sitting it the front left injector socket around the left coolant temperature sensor and you can see where it is either melting or eating the paint of my strut tower brace in the front. so any ideas thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sounds like you may have an intake leak. This picture is of my son's 2003 GT Mustang. This is the bottom view of the intake in the area where your leak appears to be. Not sure if your intake has the aluminum cross over channel, or if you have the old style plastic intake which is one solid piece. In any case, your intake may be leaking in this same area. Notice the O ring is not where it belongs. I have seen many intake coolant leaks in this area, and on the other side below the themostat housing. My feeling as to why the O rings are moving out of position, is because your thermostat is frozen or stuck and won't open. This causes alot of pressure in the system, and the pressure has to go somewhere. So, it looks for the weak link in the system. That weak links are these two area's of the intake. These area's are designed with only 1/4" of plastic material. When the engine overheats, the plastic gets soft, allowing the O rings to move out of position, causing a coolant leak. That is my opinion anyway! Good luck, Tommy.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Dilley

i do have the plastic intake that is some serious stuff right there i do have a brand new felpro upper and lower intake gasket and a new thermostat sitting here so from your post sounds like i should throw them on? how hard are these to do? 2 hour job alone?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
MUST9819

you may want to look where the sensor is mounted on top of the intake manifold. that is where mine was leaking, it had a crack down the side of the housing for sensor.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
MUST9819

hey GT Tommy what kind of sealer should i use on the sending units on the intake, just pipe thread or some kind of sealant from a parts house??
Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Replace the manifold with a metal crossover. i bet you the plasitc one cracked, they usually do around that milage. Mine did. Upgrade to a PI manifold. Takes a little more work but its definitly worth it.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help Please