4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Squeaky rear of car solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Squeaky rear of car solved

I have finally found the culprit of the back of my car near the rear left tire squeaking. After hitting every single inch of the underside, trunk and brake line area of my car with WD-40, have concluded that it is the E-Brake cable. I came up with this conclusion with the hopes to solve a lot of you guy's problems, because I know a lot of you guys were stumped, so the other day I set out on this mission and shut off my phone and all communication with the outside world until I solved the probem.

To reiterate what the squeak is caused by and when it appears, it comes from low speed bumps, where the abck end is raised. Many of you fellow stangers tried changing the shocks, springs, etc, and lubricated all the suspension components and even the trunk latch, however it did nothing to rectify the problem.

What you will have to do, is find where the E brake cable comes near the shock in the back. It goes through "loops" that are underneath the car, and it is a tight, tight fit. Unscrew these stupid loops, and have the cable complete free. Drench these hangers in grease and WD-40 or other lubricant solution and make sure the cable is sprayed too. Bolt everything back up, and enjoy your quiet wheel well.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
luckey13

OH MAN! If you are right, ur gonna save me alot of headaches! I will try it! Its so annoying!! When i get on the gas, all i hear is sqeak!!! and low bumps!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I'll try this out tomorrow. thank you.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
luckey13

is find where the E brake cable comes near the shock in the back. It goes through "loops" that are underneath the car, and it is a tight, tight fit. Unscrew these stupid loops, and have the cable complete free. Drench these hangers in grease and WD-40 or other lubricant solution and make sure the cable is sprayed too. Bolt everything back up, and enjoy your quiet wheel well.

Trie to look, have no idea where these LOOPS you speak of are? Do I need to take the rear tire off? Where exactly underneath the car? Middle? Rear? Any info would really help!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Nice, I had this issue before the IRS swap, during the swap I wd'd everything I could see while the SRA was out lols=P

I'll look to see if I have a pic that I can circle the loops (I think I know what you're talking about) if not you should post a pic.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
I have finally found the culprit of the back of my car near the rear left tire squeaking. After hitting every single inch of the underside, trunk and brake line area of my car with WD-40, have concluded that it is the E-Brake cable. I came up with this conclusion with the hopes to solve a lot of you guy's problems, because I know a lot of you guys were stumped, so the other day I set out on this mission and shut off my phone and all communication with the outside world until I solved the probem.

To reiterate what the squeak is caused by and when it appears, it comes from low speed bumps, where the abck end is raised. Many of you fellow stangers tried changing the shocks, springs, etc, and lubricated all the suspension components and even the trunk latch, however it did nothing to rectify the problem.

What you will have to do, is find where the E brake cable comes near the shock in the back. It goes through "loops" that are underneath the car, and it is a tight, tight fit. Unscrew these stupid loops, and have the cable complete free. Drench these hangers in grease and WD-40 or other lubricant solution and make sure the cable is sprayed too. Bolt everything back up, and enjoy your quiet wheel well.
I have been preaching this for quite sometime!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckey13
is find where the E brake cable comes near the shock in the back. It goes through "loops" that are underneath the car, and it is a tight, tight fit. Unscrew these stupid loops, and have the cable complete free. Drench these hangers in grease and WD-40 or other lubricant solution and make sure the cable is sprayed too. Bolt everything back up, and enjoy your quiet wheel well.

Trie to look, have no idea where these LOOPS you speak of are? Do I need to take the rear tire off? Where exactly underneath the car? Middle? Rear? Any info would really help!
one on each side , basically in front of each rear tire
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

It runs underneath the car, flat to the bottom of the car. The loops are black, and it runs pretty close to the edge of the outside of the car, then hooks up behind the tires. It comes down initially from some random hole in the bottom of the car, and runs flush along the bottom of the car, very tight.