4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Warning on Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 02:42 AM
jwillgym

Default Warning on Cold Air Intakes

BEWARE OF WATER!!!!
Put a cold air intake on my 96 GT about six months ago. Didn't feel much power gain but it looked cool so I kept it. Two days ago my kid drove it in a puddle of water 1+1/2 foot deep and killed the motor. Sucked up loads of the water... Engine froze. Pulled the plugs, still froze. Put socket on the crank and turned backwards... engine then cranked... much water came out of plug holes. Put plugs in engine turned over like twice and froze again. Pulled half (4) plugs.. engine still no turn over... put socket back on crank and turned counterclockwise again and it turned over... put all the plugs in and it started... it ran for like four seconds, sounded like it was comming apart then froze up again. Tried to turn the crank bolt backwards again but the screw just loosened... When turning clockwise it wouldn't budge with the socket or starter any of the times it was frozen.
Do any of you think it has a chance of only vaporlocking or has a stuck valve? I kind of feel like it has at least a broken rod because it would only turn over after turning crank counter clockwise and when it did start it sounded like it was beating its self to death. A little help please!!
I'll be out of town tomorow but will awnser any questions when I get back. Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 03:21 AM
V8MustangPride

Default RE: Warning on Cold Air Intakes

I had the same problem but not with my current mustang but with my old firebird. My old cai went down by the front bumper and it was sucked up and locked up. Well, my father got all the water out but the motor would never run right again. Took it to the dealership and it was running horrible like it was missing and told them and showed them and you know they couldn't find the problem. Well, two days later took it to the ford dealership because i wanted something different and got my stang. I talked to the kid who bought it and asked if they ever found the problem to it and they said no they couldn't find the problem so his father just bought a new motor. I know i had 2 people look at it and couldn't find the problem.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:15 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

buy AEM CAI bypass valve if it detects water it opens up and sucks in hot air. a lot better than sucking in cold water in my book
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

a foot and a half of water?

not smart. especially w/ a CAI
Old 07-04-2005, 07:22 PM
starcam
1st Gear Member

Sounds like engine rebuild time, and get all the water out.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

When the engine sucked up the water it probably bent rods and valves.The now shorter rods allowed the pistons to hit the crank.The damage is terminal,you might be able to save the block.The bright side(if there is one) is you can now get a forged bottom end and possibly a stroker engine.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

Wait..why did he drive through 1 1/2 foot of water? That is just plain dumb. No offense to your son but that is just not smart with or with out a CAI.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 AM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

i dont know if i want to admit to this, but i did the same thing, in my 01' GT. Sucked water up, and bent the rods. Ford put a new motor in though... and carpet! lol. my luck the car stalled right in the middle of it. Never attempt that again, dont know what i was thinking!!![:@]
Old 07-06-2005, 02:00 AM
jwillgym

Was raining hard and didn't think it was as deep as it was... Thanks for the information. Looking into putting in a claim with the city to get it fixed. But, expecting to be told that I'm out of luck.