4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what goes into planning for a S/C(Pro Charger)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Default what goes into planning for a S/C(Pro Charger)?

If I was going to Pro-Charge my mustang, what all am I going to have to do to the car (beside new tune, and new plugs)

Will the current injectors provide me with enough fuel? (if I don't plan on running high boost, I want to stay away from forging the internals for as long as possible)

I know this question is asked 1000 times, but what are safe wrHP/wrTQ numbers for non-forged internals?

Do I have to run an intercooler?

Do I have to do anything else other then buy the pro-charger, new belt, (intercooler), etc

and, is this something I could do myself? (minus the tune, and maybe the actual physical install of an intercooler, if needed)

Is there a website for some kind of parts checklist? I figured the only way to start saving up for a super charger is to slowly start buying the needed parts to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the input. If you can direct me to another thread that answers most of these questions, I am all ears. I am looking now.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

and the search feature. Make them your friend and you will find every answer to the questions you asked.

And the Pipes, boost and Juice part of the forum will help you out also.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
And the Pipes, boost and Juice part of the forum will help you out also.
this there is alot of good info in there and will most likely help you out.

and +1 to
Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

If you have limited wrenching experience, it may be more worthwhile to buy a kit.

Usually, the most difficult part to running forced induction is getting the air/fuel ratio correct. This is why I'd pay for a kit, this way you'll know that the mixture is right on.

Also, I would absolutely use an intercooler. While it isn't completely necessary, you can't get the full power from a SC without it because air gets hot as you compress it. And, as the engine temperature increases you'd get diminished gains from it. Spend the extra money and get, at least, an air to air intercooler.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM
bs46488
1st Gear Member

I installed a vortech in my carport stall of my apartment complex. After my install, I call and had the car towed to the tuner to make sure nothing got messed up with the air/fuel. just about an hour later, I was riding.

I had great results putting together my "kit" at superchargersonline.com

I would recommend changing injectors, it's one of the easiest parts of the install.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Fobra
Banned

you'll want 42# injectors or better and new MAF and fuel pump, yes you need an intercooler. Centri charger installs are a piece-o-cake. Get a tuner and have your local tuner put a conservative tune on the programmer for when you start up and drive to the dyno, then have him custom tune it. Also, don't hang your hat on the dyno results... go run your car at the track (1/4 mile) before and after the install and before and after any additional tunes... the faster you run, the better off you are... regardless of what the dyno says.

ohh yeah and get a wideband o2 sensor and gauge pod.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Things you will need....
  • Supercharger- Try to find a Kit with all the Piping,Couplers, intercooler, Belt
  • Mass Air- Most people get the 90mm Lightning, the best bet is the HPX Blow Through from VMP.
  • Fuel Pump- SVT Focus Fuel pump
  • Injectors- 42lb Frpp's
  • Tuner- Get some sort of handheld tuner, SCT, Daiblo, Sniper (ask the local tuner who will be tuning your mustang what they use)

Thats the basics... lets say 360-400whp...(depending on your other basic mods)

Other Helpful mods to get you around 400-430whp(EDIT, Just saw ur sig u have lots of the next things)
  • TB/Plenium
  • Subframe connectors
  • Full Exhaust (Headers,Mid Pipe, Catback)
  • Gears(no HP but some UMPH)
  • Better Clutch
  • Sticky tires
  • Built Rear End- Will let you REALLY Launch the car without any worries...

I wont go the next step and list the Built motor and rest of the suspension, Tranny.. then it its REALLY Expensive..
Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

One thing everyone single one of them left out... ALOT of money. good luck, i'm have a procharger myself, and currently saving for all the goodies i have to add to it before i take the procharger out of my closet :-(
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

how do you decide between a vortech or a procharger? I'm pretty sure KB is out of the question for me... vortech seem to be about $400-500 cheaper.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Vortech are good units.. They are normally cheaper because they dont come with INtercoolers like the Prochargers do. The one thing that keeps people away from Vortech is that you have to tap your oil pan and people get worried about running an oil line..... Where as a Procharger is Self Contained, (hold the oil in the head unit). Some say thats why prochargers all come with intercoolers because they get hotter, where as the Vortech has the oil circulating keeps it cooler... Either way, if you go with vortech(they are normally cheaper) You can make a DIY Intercooler .

Quick Reply: what goes into planning for a S/C(Pro Charger)?