4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please help, engine skipping, running out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I'll bet if you change every COP and spark plug on Bank 2 this problem will go away.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Klockworc

I'll continue to work on the COPs, pull them one by one, andI'll deffinately look for someone with another stang to see if I can more easily switch them out instead of buying ANOTHER set of plugs, cops, and switching it all out... that tends to be expensive on a college budget. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Klockworc

UPDATE

I was testing wire by wire under the hood today, fuel injector and spark plug wires, to see if disconecting would result in any changes to find a faulty one.

I then discovered a colapsed vaccum hose that feeds FROM the passenger side engine bank INTO the block that the air intake is connected to (says 4.6) I think thats the throttle body? could be wrong on names, w/e. Does this make sense as to being the culprit for my loss of power? I'm obviously going to switch it as soon as I can get my hands on a new short piece of hose, but imput until then would be great, thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

Unless you have a programmer that disables your misfire monitor, if it is missing that badly you have to have some misfire codes that will tell you which cylinders. And if you do have a programmer, do yourself a favor and restore the stock tune so you can find out those codes.

That will help a ton in figuring out your miss!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt2theHead
Unless you have a programmer that disables your misfire monitor, if it is missing that badly you have to have some misfire codes that will tell you which cylinders. And if you do have a programmer, do yourself a favor and restore the stock tune so you can find out those codes.

That will help a ton in figuring out your miss!
you'd be surprised, my car had three plug wells full of water but it didn't throw a code once
Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Damn, I have this same problem. First I changed the fuel filter, no change, then took it for a complete diagnostic, and they found nothing. Didn't forget to charge me 80 bucks tho. Good luck fixing it, please let us know of any success. I don't really feel like spending any more money troubleshooting til I have a better idea of what it is.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Klockworc

trust me, I'll find the damn issue eventually if it kills me. I'm doing the fuel filter and new spark plugs today or tomorrow, then COPs if need be, then wires, if all that fials: onto the Ford mechanics...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

100% the COP!!! do not go randomly replacing stuff and wasting your money. use ur squash. got water in the spark plug holes=bad coil on plug. if u don't have the money go to a do it urself junk yark and find a crown vic or some car with the 4.6 and grab a couple COP's from them. my dad had the same problem in his car (04gt) and it turned out to be a crack in the COP boot.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Klockworc

it better be the damn COPs, lol.

I just changed the spark plugs and fuel filter with no result... I'll be switching out the COPs as soon as I get a bit extra cash.

The cheapest I can find them is here: http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/DG...coil-pack.aspx for $34.

In the meantime, if anyone knows where to get Motorcraft COPs anywhere else for a cheaper price, let me know.

Thanx again.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

JW, do you have to replace all the COPs or can you figure out if its a certain one? If I can avoid spending $200 bucks on them, by all means i will lol

Quick Reply: Please help, engine skipping, running out of ideas.