4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help Diagnosing ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Default Help Diagnosing ABS Problem

So my ABS/Traction Control is disabled. Been driving the car like this for almost 3 years, with no issues other than lack of ABS; the Traction Control I could care less about but I know the two are "married" together. Anyway, is there anything I can do to track down the problem myself? Is there a way that maybe I could check a wheel speed sensor with a voltmeter, should that be the problem? I'm guessing that the ABS system has it's own ecu separate of the engine's, so my Predator is no help in figuring this out. I just really am not looking forward to spending $500 (just my luck) at a shop for a less than crucial issue, but I would love the peace of mind of the ABS functioning properly. Thanks, I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... you have described that you have a problem with the ABS, bit NOT what the problem is, silly boy What are the symptoms?

Are your brakes chattering or the light on the dash flashing at you? What are your tire diameters of both front and rear? What have you done to disable the ABS? Have you pulled the 50 amp fuse under the hood so that it doesn't work at all?

Jazzer... confused
Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I bought the car like this. The ABS light is ON at all times (along w/ Traction Control button indicating OFF), I have stock 17" rims/tire size. The brakes operate as they would on a non-ABS equipped vehicle; they will lock up in a panic stop situation. I'll see if I can track down that fuse and check it for continuity (don't have an owner's manual; Ford wanted $50 for one and my lame Haynes manual doesn't have a page displaying the fuse layout).
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Okay.... So I found a total of two 50A fuses in there (one located at the top of the fuse block nearest the engine, and another located 8 slots down towards the fender; 7th slot is empty), continuity checks out on both.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hmmm.... If the wheels actually lock up and skid, the ABS is NOT functioning. If the fuses are good, I recommend you confirm the fuse # via the Ford manual you should have (edit: re-read your post and seems you DON'T have this manual, so I will check mine and get back in a minute). It is possible you have a bad ABS module and may need Ford or your mechanic to diagnos it.

Jazzer
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Correct... #8 is a 50 amp fuse and for the ABS brakes. #7 is indeed empty as it is for the 3.8L motor and some type of secondary air thingy mabob.

There is a second fuse under the dash and is also for the ABS, but think it is just a fuse that triggers the light on dash if the 50 amp fuse fails or some other issue.

Jazzer
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'll try to figure out where the fuse for ABS circuit under the dash is and check it, but it pretty much sounds like I'm screwed on this one. I was just hoping it might be a hardware issue I could figure out myself; I suppose the next least expensive fix might be finding a used ABS module at a junkyard, and then pray that not only the module itself is still good but also fixes the problem. Thanks for trying, I appreciate the help.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well, I'd be willing to bet it is a busted ABS module. But you need to get the right tests done first before you go tossing parts at it.

Visual Inspection Chart

Mechanical / Electrical
  • Low brake fluid
  • Wheel speed sensor
  • Wheel speed sensor indicator
  • Base brake system
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
    • 15 (10A)
    • 29 (15A)
    • 33 (15A)
    • 35 (15A)
  • Battery junction box (BJB) fuse(s):
    • 1 (50A)
    • 2 (20A)
  • Circuitry
  • Damaged or corroded connectors
  • Yellow ABS warning indicator
  • Loose grounds
If the fuses check out (which they probably will) you will need to get the codes pulled. This will instantly tell you where the problem is. However, finding someone with a ABS compatible scanner is the fun part. Might have to pay for that
Old 11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

@WhiteFoxGT-

I agree, I should have it diagnosed properly as opposed to throwing parts at it; the idea of paying $75 for some joker to plug into my car for 30 seconds just bums me out, that's all. Nice Lightning, btw.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 PM
pikuoff
2nd Gear Member

Any luck on this? Mine started doing this a couple weeks ago. Same exact symptoms. I checked all of my fuses and they are good. Did you find your problem?

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing ABS Problem