4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how do i clean the intake/throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

Default how do i clean the intake/throttle body

okay I posted about failing my emissions test is the HC category so I am taking the necessary steps.

However my queston is, i got this STP Throttle Body and Air Intake cleaner.

someone posted this...

"Best solution is to decarbonize your intake and clean out your PCV tube. Decarbonization can be done by you. Get some Berrymans throttle body and intake cleaner, disconnect the inlet tube from teh intake where it connects to the intake manifold. Start her up (preferabbly have someone to keep the engine running as it may want to stall). and spray away until the can is empty."

okay so two problems/questions...

1) the directions on the bottle of cleaner differ from these, the diretions on the cleaner say to
"With engine off, disconnect the air duct from the throttle body. spray the throttle plate and inside throttle body with STP cleaner for 6 seconds. Open throttle plate and clean sealing area. wipe dry with a soft cloth. reattach air duct."

2) so...I'll remove the silver tube from the intake, which is located somehwere around my wheel area, I can only get to the actual intake from under the car, it's a real pain. so after I remove that arm/tube I spray the cleaner into which part...the actual intake or the other side near the engine area, which I belive is the throttle body...so how much do I spray and should I keep the engine on or OFF. Also, what's this about open the throttle plate and clean the sealing area???

Thanks for anyhelp!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

there is already a coating on your TB so it should never need to be cleaned. supposedly you can damage the coating if you try to clean it.

if you're worried about carbon build up just run some injector/fuel system cleaner in your next tank of gas.

also..when was the last time you replaced your PCV valve?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

From the '03 Shop Manual:
Throttle Body Housing
The throttle body housing assembly is a single piece of aluminum casting with an air passage and a butterfly throttle plate with linkage mechanisms. When the throttle plate is in the idle (or closed) position, the throttle lever arm should be in contact with the Throttle Return Stop. The throttle return stop prevents the throttle plate from contacting the bore and sticking closed. The setting also establishes the amount of air flow between the throttle plate and bore. To minimize the closed plate air flow, a special coating is applied to the throttle plate and bore to help seal this area. This sealant/coating also makes the throttle body resistant to engine intake sludge accumulation.
The OEM TB should no be cleaned so as to not disturb this sealant--however many after market TBs do not have such a coating.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

All Ford TBs say not to clean. But its a known fact in the Ford world that they will get dirty and start to stick. Even Ford said its ok for us to clean the new drive by wire TBs because they would stick and start to act up if not. Hell every dealer sells their own type of throttle body/air induction service that they sell on every type of vehicle

If you failed for HCs, I dont think cleaning your intake will do you much good.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

jesus why is everyone giving me a different answer.

I don't understand why people are saying not to clean it when they sell all these cleaning sprays and stuff.

My question is simply how exactly do I clean it properly using the spray can ****.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Im telling you as a Ford tech you can do it. Follow directions on the spray can.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
themulletguy

They sell all those cleaning products to make money. I personally would never use any of those products in my car.