4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:10 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

Default Got a problem...

I've got that x pipe without cats on my car... was driving around at like 9 PM EST in Ohio (Warren/Youngstown) area and I notice this cop tailing my *** (if i would have braked even the slightest he would have hit me). Finally after about 5 minutes of driving he is still tailing me so I'm like wtf and switch lanes. I had my cruise control on going 40 after I realized he was trailing me to make sure I wasn't speeding. Another few minutes pass by and he finally starts passing me on the right lane, so I wave. Ya know, maybe I know him or something (at this point i had no idea what was going on). My car isn't that loud unless I get on it, and I had the ****er in 5th gear, so I KNOW it wasn't loud.

Anyway, after I wave at him with my window down he yells HEY HEY. So I respond to him with the whole hey, what's up ordeal since I had no idea what was going on. He's all like -- tone down your exhaust. So I politely ask him "How?" and he tells me to take my catback off and put a stock (non aftermarket one) one on because the aftermarket ones are illegal.

The county that I live in (Trumbull) has no emission laws. After he yells at me, he starts bitching at me for peeling out (which I never did) and not using a turn signal (which I DID use, even my girlfriend's like wtf I saw you put it on and I only made 1 turn). He didn't pull me over, so I'm guessing he was just being a dick and was bull****ting me. Even if he had pulled me over, I don't think he could have cited me for anything but not mhaving cats. However, I'm not even sure if that's illegal not to have cats around here.

I need some advice here. Can I put cats on my midpipe or do I have to get a new one? Should I get a catted pipe and If I can just buy cats should I do that? I don't want to get cited here, and I really don't care about not having cats or having them. I honestly could care less. I originally bought the offroad pipe because I liked how it sounded on my friends GT w/ longtubes. I've had the offroad pipe on for about a month 1/2. It's definately loud as hell when I get on it -- even a little.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Got a problem...

It's illegal to not have cats on any car that came with emissions equipment from the factory, regardless of local laws.

Also, your state may have laws about how loud your mufflers can be. You can find this out by going to your states RMV website.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:24 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

Yep, it's illegal. That sucks, heh. There is no noise law that I can find. However, it looks like I should put cats on. Is that possible to just add them or do I have to buy a non-offroad pipe?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 PM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Im sure he was just making things up that you were doing, because people drive so perfect and cautious. First off most people dont even pay attention to what they are doing, so my guess is, he was watching you before you spotted him. He saw your dumba$$ driving. When you realized he was tailing you, you started waving because you werent sure how much of the dumba$$ driving he saw. You were trying the..."Im a nice guy, and have no idea that I just drove retarded, wave." So he chews your butt instead of gettting ticketed, and then when he leaves after cutting you the break.......he's the dumba$$ who lies and harasses you. That is why I dont cut many breaks. The ones that you cut breaks to , will usually come back to haunt you, so just dont do it. No, not all catbacks are illegal. Its about sound levels. If it is a clean sound, but louder than normal you should be fine. Something catted is going to clean your sound up and tone it down quite a bit but didnt you state that you dont care...........you bought your pipe because you liked the sound on your buddies car. Maybe he will pay your ticket? If you dont care, why are you bothering us with this? Your O/R pipe is not legal...hence the O/R in the name. Thats fine if that is what you want to use, but you know when you put it on it is illegal and you could get into trouble, so dont hoop and hollar when it happens like it everyone else's fault.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:30 PM
StangMan04
2nd Gear Member

im getting a SLP X pipe, O/R but i will buy the cats and gut em incase a cop asks me about them. Since the SLP u can just unbolt the cats and put O/R pipes in or vice versa. Emissions is no problem cuz my dad inspects my car. cops really arent hard up about it around me so i should be fine.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:44 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

UhadMEatGT,

I had just pulled out of a gas station and he started tailing me about 30 feet down the road. I didn't even have TIME to drive like a dumbass. Not like I would anyway, I had my girlfriend in the car and I saw the cop before I pulled out. There was a small civic dx hatch that pulled out before me and chirped his tires. He had a fart can... took a quick left though... I'm thinking he heard it and wasn't paying attention and might have assumed it was me. My car is still pretty loud in low gears until I hit 5th.

Please don't make assumptions. I understand that no one drives perfectly, but I was asking for advice, not to be torn a new *******.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
monster4music

UhadMEatGT,

I guess you are a cop judging by your reply. Sorry to inform you that there are a few cops (not all) that are complete Aholes that think they know what's what. I have seen many things in my life that Cops have done illegally for no other reason then they are cops. The guy would not have wrote this if he knew the answer as to why the cop was tailing him.
At the end of the day Police Officers are people too. They have biases towards there own beliefs and Stereo types. No one can say different as i am sure everyone has seen shady or questional behavior from our Boyz in Blue. I'v seen cops do 60MPH down a city street, and blow by me like there was somebody getting murdered, only to pull into the freakin' drive through at the local donut shop. Cops sidways through a gravel parking lot spraying cars with stones (mine included) just to look cool in front of their buddies they were talking with. I'v been pulled over and sat while a cop that doesn't know Sweet F$#% all about Motorcycle laws for and hour in 80 degree heat while they leaf through a book trying to nail me on some thing when I was just riding down the road. No apology. Also cops are notorious liars. They lie by feeding you BS that they say they know just trying to get you to admit to something. If some cops see a car that they feel could be suspicous (Mustangs) they will follow you to see if they can get you on something. Please tell me different so the whole Forum can know your lying.

Please don't assume you know the situation better then the guy telling the story. Your reply was a waste of time.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Please don't assume you know the situation better then the guy telling the story. Your reply was a waste of time.

Agreed.

Sounds like another hotshot cop with something to prove. Don't be a *****, were all friends here...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Whenever a cop starts to follow me, I pull off into a parking lot... They usually just drive on...wait a few seconds, tehn pull back out onto the road.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
RAZER
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monster4music

UhadMEatGT,

I guess you are a cop judging by your reply. Sorry to inform you that there are a few cops (not all) that are complete Aholes that think they know what's what. I have seen many things in my life that Cops have done illegally for no other reason then they are cops. The guy would not have wrote this if he knew the answer as to why the cop was tailing him.
At the end of the day Police Officers are people too. They have biases towards there own beliefs and Stereo types. No one can say different as i am sure everyone has seen shady or questional behavior from our Boyz in Blue. I'v seen cops do 60MPH down a city street, and blow by me like there was somebody getting murdered, only to pull into the freakin' drive through at the local donut shop. Cops sidways through a gravel parking lot spraying cars with stones (mine included) just to look cool in front of their buddies they were talking with. I'v been pulled over and sat while a cop that doesn't know Sweet F$#% all about Motorcycle laws for and hour in 80 degree heat while they leaf through a book trying to nail me on some thing when I was just riding down the road. No apology. Also cops are notorious liars. They lie by feeding you BS that they say they know just trying to get you to admit to something. If some cops see a car that they feel could be suspicous (Mustangs) they will follow you to see if they can get you on something. Please tell me different so the whole Forum can know your lying.

LOL owned by a newbe. Good one monster4music

Quick Reply: Got a problem...