4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
02mustanggt25

Default HELP

Hi everyone. Im new to this site and need some help. After trying to find the solution to my problems by searching in multiple mustang forums i decided to just ask for some help. I have a 2002 mustang gt with slp x pipe and cat back. My first problem is with my speedometer. For a while my speedometer would work only after driving for a good 10 min but now im lucky if it works once a month. The speedometer will refuse to work but my odometer will come on but then turn to dashes after driving for a few min. I have 4.10 gears and a speedcal. I checked the fuse a few months back and it was blown.After replacing it, the speedometer worked for a little while but then just stopped working a few weeks later. Could this be because of my speedcal? My second problem is with my battery light. It will come on and and off every few seconds while im driving around. I had the alternator checked and it was fine. It has also been like this for a good 5 months so I would think the alternator would have gone out by now. I dont have problems starting the car up or any other power problems. I do have it hooked up to an amp that is not working though. I have been to busy and poor to buy or figure out the amp problem altough a friend said it was because some metal connection was missing where the wire attaches from the amp to the sub. I have left the worst for last. I have left the car sitting in my parking lot because it will produce white smoke after i beat on her for a little bit. It always comes from the same spot. On the passanger side engine bay. My coolant used to leak but i havent seen much of a drop in the last month or two. The car never over heats but once she starts smoking I will quickly park it and leave her alone for a while. This has been happening for about 4 months now.It pains me to see my first car whom i have grown up with falling apart around me. And I dont feel right driving the girlfriends honda around.Not a huge fan. Between school and work i dont have much time to figure it out and definitly dont have the money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
02mustanggt25

anything?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Dale7champ94

Sounds like:
1. You've got a serious electrical problem going on. I'd completely disconnect that amp.
It's maybe grounding out somewhere causing you to blow fuses. I've learned with these newer cars with all the computer controls that the best thing is to let the pros install any aftermarket amps. that way if it does screw something up they have to fix it.

2. Sounds like a headgasket leaking to me. (could be wrong it happens) you didn't state if you have checked your coolant level or not.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Use paragraphs, makes it much easier to read which means more people will read it. To be honest, I opened the post and almost immediately closed it. But then I saw you were a newbie and reopened it to add my 2¢...

Originally Posted by 02mustanggt25
Hi everyone. Im new to this site and need some help. After trying to find the solution to my problems by searching in multiple mustang forums i decided to just ask for some help.

I have a 2002 mustang gt with slp x pipe and cat back. My first problem is with my speedometer. For a while my speedometer would work only after driving for a good 10 min but now im lucky if it works once a month. The speedometer will refuse to work but my odometer will come on but then turn to dashes after driving for a few min. I have 4.10 gears and a speedcal.

I checked the fuse a few months back and it was blown.After replacing it, the speedometer worked for a little while but then just stopped working a few weeks later. Could this be because of my speedcal?

My second problem is with my battery light. It will come on and and off every few seconds while im driving around. I had the alternator checked and it was fine. It has also been like this for a good 5 months so I would think the alternator would have gone out by now. I dont have problems starting the car up or any other power problems.

I do have it hooked up to an amp that is not working though. I have been to busy and poor to buy or figure out the amp problem altough a friend said it was because some metal connection was missing where the wire attaches from the amp to the sub.

I have left the worst for last. I have left the car sitting in my parking lot because it will produce white smoke after i beat on her for a little bit. It always comes from the same spot. On the passanger side engine bay.

My coolant used to leak but i havent seen much of a drop in the last month or two. The car never over heats but once she starts smoking I will quickly park it and leave her alone for a while.

This has been happening for about 4 months now.It pains me to see my first car whom i have grown up with falling apart around me. And I dont feel right driving the girlfriends honda around. Not a huge fan. Between school and work i dont have much time to figure it out and definitly dont have the money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
See?

As to your problems the previous posters have covered pretty much of what can be diagnosed through postings on a forum.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:31 PM
02mustanggt25

Thanks for the help and sorry about the long paragraph. Yes the coolant level drops. Is there any way to test whether or not its the gasket. I have heard the engine will overheat relatively quickly once the gasket starts to leak. It has had this problem for a good 5 or 6 months and not once has the car showed any signs of overheating. When the car does smoke there is a strong smell of burning plastic also. Could coolant be leaking from a hose somewhere on the passenger side. And like I said, it only starts to smoke when I push the engine (which I know i shouldn't be doing with a problem like this but sometimes I cant help myself when merging into traffic on the freeway).
Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
02mustanggt25

Also, I check the oil regularly to see if it is "milky" and it never is. I have also been told that a leaking gasket will cause the engine to run poorly but she runs great.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

first off i would disconnect the sub and amp and see if the problem persists. if it does i would next go to the speed cal and check all the connections there as well as checkin for chafed wires causing shorts. as far as your smoke could it be a piece of plastic/rubber that is causing it rather that a coolant leak. start with that they dont cost anything but a little time. good luck man
Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

2004 mustang workshop manual call for...pinpoint test j. the odometer is inoperative.
j1 check the odometer display
1.key in ON position
2. is the odometer displaying all dashes
if yes refer to powertrain control/emissions diagnosis manual.
if no then the manual calls for checkin for corrosion/ pushed out pins on the instrument cluster connectors
for your battery light or charging system light.
the same manual calls for checkin the central junction box fuse 5 (15A), or the generator connector plug is unplugged, or the curcuitry, or the generator(which you already said you checked.

now i dont have the PC/ED manual but at least this will give you a direction to go. let us know what you find.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
02mustanggt25

I just checked the car. The coolant has dropped quite a bit. I also have nasty valve cover leak on the passenger side. Oil is pooled up in the spark plug and the wire that runs along the top side of all the spark plugs seems to be getting burned through. It is in the same area where the smoke is coming from.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Dale7champ94

Well I do believe that your temp gauge is screwed up. You have overheated at some point in time. You are more than likely looking at getting head work done. Also I don't think I'd be driving it until the work is done. You're only going to make it worse and leave yourself stranded somewhere when the engine completely goes. To bad you're in Texas or we could have a few cold ones and check it out.

Last edited by Dale7champ94; 02-28-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added to